Chartreux or Russian blue?

lilsleepxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued this kitty at roughly 10 weeks old. She is all gray with one little spot of white on her chest and has yellow eyes. I’m wondering if someone could help identify her breed!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's lovely! I would describe her as a blue domestic shorthair. She doesn't have a strong resemblance to either of the breeds you mentioned.

Most cats are not any particular breed. The genes that produce the solid blue color are widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. The vast majority of blue cats do not have ancestry from the Chartreux or Russian Blue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilsleepxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's lovely! I would describe her as a blue domestic shorthair. She doesn't have a strong resemblance to either of the breeds you mentioned.

Most cats are not any particular breed. The genes that produce the solid blue color are widespread in the domestic cat gene pool. The vast majority of blue cats do not have ancestry from the Chartreux or Russian Blue.
Thank you for your time! I was trying not to get my hopes up but its got me puzzled! She doesn’t meow but she makes this sound I can’t quite describe. She also really claimed me when I brought her home, she is a lot more social with me than she is my roommate

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was trying not to get my hopes up but its got me puzzled!
I'm just responding to your mention of "trying not to get your hopes up." There is no need to feel disappointed about your kitty; domestic shorthairs are great cats in their own right! She has her own unique blend of characteristics that is all her own. A breed label wouldn't make your kitty any more special and wonderful than she already is!

lilsleepxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm just responding to your mention of "trying not to get your hopes up." There is no need to feel disappointed about your kitty; domestic shorthairs are great cats in their own right! She has her own unique blend of characteristics that is all her own. A breed label wouldn't make your kitty any more special and wonderful than she already is!
I agree and I didn’t mean it like that at all! She is such a special girl! She was feral when I took her home and always hid from me and my roommate but since then she has warmed up to us so much! Does some of the silliest things but it’s adorable<3

lilsleepxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is one of my Chartreux girls at 10 weeks old for comparison
View attachment 309337View attachment 309338
And again at (I think) 15 weeks
View attachment 309339

Quite different to your girl, gorgeous as she is :lovecat3: A Russian Blue would have green eyes. You have a beautiful, unique, adorable blue domestic shorthair girl.
Sweet baby!! I couldn’t see too much of a difference between my kitty and pictures on google but with yours I see the body shape better and the eyes are much rounder

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet baby!! I couldn’t see too much of a difference between my kitty and pictures on google but with yours I see the body shape better and the eyes are much rounder
When you google the name of a cat breed, lots of the pictures that pop up are not actually examples of that breed.