Charging for cat sitting

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would just like to know your thoughts on this.....
If someone asked you to catsit - would you charge them for it? If so, how much?

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends - If it was a mate, I probably would just ask them to pay for the expenses of the cat - But if it is going to be for a long time (a week or more) then I might ask for $50 bucks (Australian money that is!).

But I wouldn't mind looking after a friends cat!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

Depends - If it was a mate, I probably would just ask them to pay for the expenses of the cat - But if it is going to be for a long time (a week or more) then I might ask for $50 bucks (Australian money that is!).

But I wouldn't mind looking after a friends cat!!!
What if you wanted someone to stay in your house and look after the cat? Would you pay them?

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Again, it depends who it is, how long, how much trouble it is etc... If its a short period for a good pal then I wouldnt ask for anything, just tell them to make sure I have good supplies of whatever stuff kitty needs. On the other hand don't let people use you either. For someone I hardly know - I would expect some kind of payment.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think it would depend on who the person was. If it was a good friend or a family member and someone I could trust to return the favor and take care of my cats sometime in the future, then no. If not, I wouldn't have a problem with charging them...especially if they want me to take care of their house as well.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if I was asking them to come to my house, I would most likely fill up the cupboard and fridge and tell them the house was theres for the period of time - But this is if it was a good friend to whom I know I could repay the favour.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I occassionally pet sit in my apartment complex (no one that I'm previously friends with) and I pretty much charge a flat rate of $10/day and I'll come over to their place as many times as they want me to for that price (and will care for any type of animal since I have experience with them all) and it's usually just for a weekend that they need to be sat - if someone needed me to do it long-term, I'd probably reduce the rate some.... I've sat for close friends and family before and they usually offer to pay me something before I even bring it up.... guess it all depends - if it's a really good friend of yours, your rate may be cheaper... my mom was telling a few of her friends about me petsitting and they thought I should charge more than 10/day! I'm in college and don't have a regular job, so I just see it as a little extra spending money to spend on the critters or the bars! tee hee

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all depends on circumstances and on what the market will bear.

I normally charge my cat-sitting clients $20/day. However, if the situation is complex (like if the cat is diabetic, which requires me to adhere to a strict schedule), then $30-$40/day is more like it. But that's the going rate in this particular city. It varies greatly from place to place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think 10$/day is reasonable. There are professional pet sitters here in Vancouver that charge 18$/30 min visit and $7.50 more per day on STAT holidays.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i only charged a friend of mine $5 per visit. the area i was living at the time the most prof sitters charged was $10.

the petsitter i hire here, charges around $11 or $12 per visit (can't remember the exact number). she is also licensed/insured/bonded, can medicate if needed, and certified in pet first aid.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who pays someone $200/week to watch her dog. But she requires them to stay at her house. I mean, they can go to work or whatever, but they sleep there so he isn't left alone for too long.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sitter charged 25 bucks/day. She is a vet tech, fed, picked up mail, gave meds, cleaned out snot from kitties nose, and fed fish and kitties, and cleaned litter box. She came twice a day and drove about 5 miles out of her way from her job.

weloveellie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I have a friend who pays someone $200/week to watch her dog. But she requires them to stay at her house. I mean, they can go to work or whatever, but they sleep there so he isn't left alone for too long.
Wow that is alot. I take my dog to doggie daycare. They charge 18 dollars a day. As far as cat sitting, I think it all depends on how far you have to travel. If it is near by I would say 10 dollars a day is a good price.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually ask for 10 a day .. often get 20 ...lol..