Charging Different Rates for the Same Kitten

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just want to air one of my great pet-peeves. . .

I completely fail to understand the logic of those breeders who advertise different rates for the same kitten depending on if they are purchased as a pet or for show. I just don't get it!!

I can understand selling a kitten as show quality for a higher amount, especially if the pet buyer wants a show quality kitten and has no intention of showing them. I think the higher amount should stand in place in order to dissuade those buyers from requesting a show kitty who will sit at home and do nothing. However, if the buyer eventually goes on to show and grand their cat, I firmly feel that the difference between pet and show prices should be refunded.

I also do not agree with the logic of those breeders who charge for cats that are going to a proven show home. Shows are so expensive--if a seasoned exhibitor wants to take on a cat, then a breeder should feel honored to have the opportunity to allow someone else to take on the time and expense involved with showing.

The major way a breeder evaluates the quality of their breeding program is through the formal assessment of licensed cat judges at shows. Titles and awards mean that a breeding program is on the right track and they mean the world to a conscientious breeder. I wish all of my cats could go to show homes. . . and if I know someone is definitely going to try to show, then I will give them the best cat/kitten I can at no extra cost. Period. It is my name and reputation that is at stake, and I want judges and spectators to see an accurate representation of my program. It does not make sense that breeders ask people to pay for the privilege of building another person's reputation

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean - been there, done that. When I was breeding my Cornies, I carefully studied pedigrees/lines and for the most part, the majority of my kittens were "show" quality - they would have done better then just champion. I only had a few that were really pet quality.

However, most of what I sold was to pet homes and not show homes because I was limited on what I could keep and show myself. I was thrilled to find those that would take them and get them in the ring rather then sit home - even tho the home ones were spoiled as well.

I first thought about 3 prices - one for pet, one for show alters and one for show/breeding. Breeding would, of course, be the highest price.

So I kinda compromised on pet/show alter and charged one price for that and if the cat was going for show/breeding it would be higher.

When buying the Ocicats I paid the price the breeder charged and it was the same as pet or show alter - because in both cases the cat would be altered; made little difference in that respect. Since I was not gonna breed, I have no idea what a breeding Ocicat would cost.

I would stick to one price for a pet or show alter and if you sell show/breeding cats, then charge about double.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wrinkles breeder charges the same price for pet/show and way more for breeders.
Cleo and Polar Bare both cost less then Wrinkles and are better then her.
I bought Wrinkles as show quality but her breeder does not show so she should not be charging what she does.
I also am the only one to ever show a cat from her cattery.
If I ever show Cleo again she will be beat Wrinkles.
Judges have already told me that.
Also in July Polar will go against Wrinkles so there is a good chance he will beat her in every ring.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a different approach then most Ragdoll Breeders. When we feel that we have a show worthy kitten, we will let them go to a show home for the same price as a pet but work in a pretty easy show requirement in the contract. If going to a pet home, we do charge more if the person is not going to show. Pet people will pay more for quality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marsch21

I have a different approach then most Ragdoll Breeders. When we feel that we have a show worthy kitten, we will let them go to a show home for the same price as a pet but work in a pretty easy show requirement in the contract. If going to a pet home, we do charge more if the person is not going to show. Pet people will pay more for quality.
I applaud your ethics! Basically because they echo my own
We breeders should make it as easy as possible for people to get involved in the cat fancy--especially if they are going to show one of our precious altered babies.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
show kittens always outnumber show homes, personally I won't charge more for a show neuter.

I know one breeder who pays for the first 3 shows for the new owners, sometimes that's enough to get them hooked.

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I charge the same for show alters and pets but do require a show alter be shown at least once and offer rebates for each level of title. That seems to be pretty normal as well.

I can see a breeder charging more if they are placing a show alter and the person wants the kitten shown prior to it going home (and the home being based on the show experience). Although I don't see it as often.

Daisy

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't happen here, at least amongst the (many) breeders I know. A kitten is a kitten and above all other considerations, needs a good home, regardless of whether it is going to be shown. No-one I know charges more for a show kitten than for a pet kitten. Breeders will steer you towards a good choice if you want one to show, or will round you up and take you to shows themselves and give encouragement if you take a good quality kitten as a pet, but I've never heard of anyone here charging more specifically for a kitten to show.

For one thing, breeders can't ever guarantee that a kitten they sell for show will enjoy the experience - however pretty he looks, my Jacob cannot bear travelling or being in a pen or around the hustle and bustle of a showring - he's a real homebody, awesome friendly and soft tolerant temperament, typey, and the best most loving companion you could ever wish for, but not cut out for showing - if he'd been sold for more money as a show kitten, the people who bought him would have been sorely disappointed.

Pedigree kittens already cost upwards of £400 ($600) regardless of show potential anyway, and that's for the most common breeds, and it's a struggle to get people to go to shows - there isn't the demand to justify charging more for show kittens, because people are not queuing up to buy a kitten to show. And in the UK, plenty of people want a pedigree cat as a pet, but barely anyone shows, it's been that way for decades and I can't see the situation changing.