Changing Wet Cat Food

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it’s a good idea to introduce new wet cat food slowly with the current food, but wondering if that’s totally necessary if the new food or foods are of the same high quality? I’ve read people here have mentioned buying cat food to have in “their rotation”. What does that mean?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A rotation just means that you feed a lot of foods, alternating them. At least until the cat(s) decide(s) they're tired of something! And then you switch the rotation around. (I often set the rejected food away for a month or two... and then it's like something new for the cats.)

Our cats are fine with switching foods all the time; not all are but it should be fairly easy for you to tell how yours do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok good thanks. I didn’t think it would be very easy to do a 5 to 7 day introduction every time I want to have him try a new food when he gets tired of the one he is eating.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista is an IBD kitty. I don't like to change food on her often. When I do, it's usually because she barfed it and she's holding a grudge. In that case, mixing the old food with the new is a non-starter. If I already know she can handle it (she's already eaten it before but maybe not recently), I will feed her half portions for half a day or a day to give her gut the best chance to adjust to the difference in proteins and macronutrient ratios. Duck is fattier than rabbit. If she's been eating rabbit, then I feed her half portions of duck for a day to give her a chance to adjust even though they are the same brand and thus presumably the same high quality. If it's a brand new food, as in I don't know whether it will agree with her, I feed her quarter portions for a full poop cycle. Once I see the next poop on the new food (or sooner if she's been barfing the new food), I can make a determination about whether to increase to half portions or discontinue the transition. I'm okay with underfeeding my cat for a couple of days if it increases her chances of adjusting to the new food without too much distress or rejection.

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great info. I can’t believe I am worrying so much about this guy. Maybe it’s because he has to be indoors so coyotes won’t get him. Had a barn kitten years and years ago and he got to go out . Just fed him grocery store food and he lived to be 14 moving from NY to Atlanta, to Cali, back to Atlanta. Maybe I’m over worrying. IDK.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Younger cats are very forgiving of changes. Older cats, you have to take changes a lot slower.

halldj50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
;)

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I just started giving spooky wet food in with her dry food hoping it agreed with her tummy its i think whiskers chunky beef