Changing older cats food...

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is close to 16 yrs old.....she is doing very well....but lately I've been thinking I should maybe find her a food more suitable for her age....She is never sick....she loves to eat...Right now she eats "wellness" grain free canned and "now" grain free kibble....I read on here seniors shouldn't eat grain free and it got me thinking....Just wondering what you would do if it was your cat ?? Thanks

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Joji is as old as yours and in good health. Her appetite is excellent and eats what the rest of the cats eat. The dry is Merrick's Before Grain and the wet is mostly home cooked and a bit of canned (Natural Balance and Avoderm) to make sure she gets the needed vitamins, etc.
I didn't know that seniors should not eat grain free but it does not seem to do any harm to Joji. She's been eating it for years.
To answer your question, I don't believe my old girl needs changes in her diet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

I have a cat who is close to 16 yrs old.....she is doing very well....but lately I've been thinking I should maybe find her a food more suitable for her age....She is never sick....she loves to eat...Right now she eats "wellness" grain free canned and "now" grain free kibble....I read on here seniors shouldn't eat grain free and it got me thinking....Just wondering what you would do if it was your cat ?? Thanks
Grain free may be fine for some but the majority of senior cats who are eating DRY food should have lower nutrients of some items and higher of others... Discuss with your vet, and be prepared to hear lots of conflicting stuff
... I generally keep a senior on a DRY diet with protein under 32% , fat that is at least 20% and moderate carbs( I prefer rice and oats for older animals for digestion)...

Has she had senior blood work? If yes was it within 6 months and "normal"... Normal usually is per the vets interpretation as blood work is based on a 2-5 yr old cat and their "normals"... So a lot of vets will allow out of "normal " numbers for a senior and say all is normal( I relate this to a human breathing test or RA factor with as one ages these also change)..

Change foods if you do over the course of weeks vs the standard 7-10 day is how I do it ...

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find it difficult to impossible to change foods with my cats, they likes what they likes