Changing Location Of Litter Box

wylepnk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we adopted 2 new cats last April and kept them in the upstairs hall bathroom to let them adjust. We left a litter box in the bathroom for awhile and when we tried to take it to the basement where the other boxes were, they rebelled and peed in some places. We gave in and left the box in the bathroom, but recently decided we wanted a functioning bathroom back. Moved the box to the basement, and they are peeing in our room on the carpet again.
It is a test of wills and I plan to win this time. But it is making me crazy. We had put down puppy pads with the intent that it was temporary, but they are using those and even moving them to pee on the floor below.
We'd had a food bowl in our room, but have taken that away, so that if they want to eat they will have to go to the basement where the boxes are. May try shutting them out of our room when we are gone.
To answer the usual questions 1) we have 5 litter boxes in the basement 2) they were doing fine using the box in the bathroom, so I don't think it is a health issue 3) we have never found any product which totally removes the scent from the carpet, so I am flummoxed there- but see #2.
Today I bought a cheap shower curtain and put it down covering the area plus some. I bought some contact paper but am not able to fold it over and get it to stick to surfaces leaving the sticky side up.
Haven't tried a squirt gun, but am not there all of the time. Haven't tried mouse traps face down, but would be afraid of them still getting snapped.

Anyone have ideas? Is there a home remedy deterrent? Have you found an enzymatic cleaner that REALLY works? Have spent a lot of money on these.
I don't want to put the box back in the bathroom- I wish I had stood firm a few months ago when we tried moving it unsuccessfully. We might have it solved by now.
Please help

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have seen that there are automated/electric motion activated deterrents, amazon etc that you could check into. I don't know if this other idea would work but I've also read that putting their food bowl in the pee area can help stop it since they don't like to eat where they do their business. Hang in there!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there other cats that use those basement litter Boxes? Do all the cats get along? Do they seem to be afraid of basement? And, moving a litterbox all at once doesn’t works for some cats. Try moving it a few feet every day until it is at the top of the stairs and then down to the basement.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats won't use a litterbox in the basement anymore either. I think they got scared by a noise down there like the furnace or the hot water heater. Do you have any noises in your basement like that?

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my cat started peeing in our room we just put a box in our room and they used it.