Changing cat behavior

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been out of work for about 6 years caring for family members.  During that time I had a stray decide that I was her new home.  We have been happy together (just me and her)  for about six years now.  My reason for writing is to ask for suggestions.  I am currently looking to go back to work full time.  This cat is VERY attached to me - and probably I'm as attached to her.  She helped me through two family members illness and death.  I am worried about her staying alone for 8-10 hours a day when she is accustomed to me being here 24/7. 

She is afraid of everything, inside and outside, although she does prefer if I keep the back door open just a bit for her to come in and out.  She prefers being outside but will run inside if she gets scare - which is a lot!  I also feed about 6-7 ferals that come and go through the day.  She doesn't like it but she has gotten use to them and no longer growls at them.  Of course, they aren't best friends either.   (by the way, I have several  feliway plug-ins that do help)

Anyway, I can't get her to play with anything.  I can get her attention for about 5-10 minutes tops.  I have tried everything except really expensive toys.  She doesn't even really play in or with boxes and if she shows any curiosity it is only for about 5 minutes.  I mention that because when I could get her to play it helped tremendously with the "scaredy cat" behavior.  Now that she won't play she isn't burning off all that energy.  There are only two things that interest her - when I ball up a piece of paper and throw it she will play with it for a minute or two and, string, which I use to get her attention but switch to a toy thats a strip of materials on a wand.

So, after all that, my question is what can I do to keep her from being so bored and sleeping all day.   When she is really scared she goes and hides under the couch and won't come out for hours.  I don't want her hiding under the couch all day.  I've see Jackson Galaxy say to fill the areas where they hide but that is the only place in the house where she feels that security and I hate to fill that up. 

Ok, I'm through with my thesis now, any suggestions?

Thank you!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope others have better suggestions than I (I know they do).

With that said, sometimes some cats are really picky on what they will play with.

One of mine loves to play with a tennis ball (it can mimic prey - mice actions). Try something like that. There are other interactive toys though I am not an expert on those (hopefully someone has good advice on those). I have found Da Bird works really well also.

But some cats do not like to play. There are other ways to build her confidence. Add some cat trees and window perches and maybe cat shelving. Height builds confidence so if we can get her up in the world that could be helpful. Keep letting her know you love her. But try not to "over mother" her. 

And please be very calm and confident around her. Cats take on our emotions so be strong and confident. 

Cats are resilient so I am sure she will be fine while you are gone. She'll most likely sleep when you are gone so it will be fine. Don't worry, calm and confident.

I hope others can also add some ideas. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

Let us know how things go. Congratulations on your new job.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I just had another idea, see if you can set up "cat tv". Is it possible for you to puta fish tank in the house (big enough that your cat can't knock over, and with a lid) or a bird feeder in the yard. Cats love watching either of these so it should give her some entertainment while you're away.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great advice Abyeb.

A cat tree by a window or window perch with birds, squirrels etc outside is good entertainment. Going up in the world (height) builds confidence as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll try them all.  :)