Changing a Cat's Owner

shomaila1256

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cat, Furby for nearly a year now but this summer i'm shifting away to another country. It's very difficult for me to take Furby along with me so we're going to have to give him away to someone else. He is really attached to my three siblings and I and we want to make the transition as easy as possible for him. Are there any tips on doing that like making him meet his new owner a few times before he goes there or something? 
Because when we had to travel to another city and left him with someone else he stopped eating for the first few days and gets sad. Any advice would be a great help!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @shomaila1256

When you say he's attached to my three siblings, does that mean he'll be moving in with family?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shomaila1256

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My earlier message does seem a little confusing so i'll clarify. My whole family (consisting of parents, three siblings and me) is moving away. We're not taking Furby with us and have to leave him with someone else, a new owner. What i meant by ' he's really attached to us' is that he's very close and loves us alot which is why it'll be difficult for him to switch homes and owners. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Ok.. that's very clear.

Do you have a new owner?  It would be good if you could take his stuff around to the new house.. lots of things with his scent on it.  Cats tend to bond a lot with their environment more than people, but it certainly wouldn't hurt for him to meet them. 

If he goes somewhere where there are already cats, the new owners will need to do careful introductions.

These might help:

[article="0"]Bringing Home A New Cat​[/article] (article)

[thread="303265"]The Process Of Rehoming A Cat And Helping Her Feel Comfortable​[/thread] (thread)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shomaila1256

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! Sounds like most of the job has to be done by the new owner though