Changes In Kneading Behavior

zobothehobo

Non-binary mom of 3 (they/them)
Young Cat
Purraise
So my little one Niko never used to knead me. I've had him since he was six months old in October 2015. In late June of this year, my other kitty Stacey passed away. Stacey was nearly 10 when she passed.

Niko took her death hard, he cried a lot and laid on all her old spots... It hit him. One of the changes in his behavior was that he started kneading me. I thought this was a grief response but as his other grieving behaviors went away as he adjusted to the new normal without her, this one hasn't. In fact, it's increased.

When Stacey died, I had just started working full 40+ hour weeks for the first time and Niko has also been a bit... hard to adjust... to me not being around. He gets so upset with me not around. I assume that part of the increase in his kneading behavior is me not being around as much. He has another kitty friend around the house to hang out with during the day and there are other humans in the house around more than me... So I don't think it's general loneliness... but I don't know.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why he's kneading more and if I need to be concerned about it? I love it, but it's strange. I don't want to just cherish the tender moments if there may be something to worry about.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a loved one, and even harder when you see your other cats in pain as well.

Adult cats knead for contentment, stress relief and to mark territory. Considering what has happened (your loss and increased hours), I would say he's doing this for a combination of all three.
It may have started purely for stress relief, and a way to help you grieve as well (my cat would knead me more if I was sad or sick), but has now morphed into claiming you as his and and that he misses you because your not home as much. I would not worry too much about his behavior on it's own, but I would be concerned if he shows any other signs of stress. If you feel the need, try to provide him with more one on one play time. You could also try training him to knead on his own plush toy or blanket. If he goes to knead you, simply place him on his toy/blanket/pillow, and pet him. It will also provide him with something comforting to cuddle with while you are away at work.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss of Stacey It could be that Niko saw her as a mother figure and may have cuddled and kneaded in her. Losing that comfort he transferred it to you. As Jem posted given something soft and fuzzy cats will be happy to knead on that. Wool, fleece and fuzzy materials or toys are likely to induce kneading.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, his attention is focused on you now, and he's just happy to be with you. It's nothing to worry about, in fact, it's a sign of affection.