Changes In Humping Behavior?

zobothehobo

Non-binary mom of 3 (they/them)
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my neutered male Niko since he was six months old in October 2015. I've never seen him hump any other cat (and there have been 9 he has lived around since then - not all at the same time but total) or an inanimate object and apparently he's humped my roommate's cat twice tonight.

The other cat is also a neutered male.. he got neutered about a month ago. He lived with us before being fixed since July 2018. Niko never displayed this kind of behavior then.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what could be going on? Niko's never been the aggressive type and I'm concerned.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible it is related to a desire by Niko for dominancy. Why now, I don't know. It could be because of the hormonal change in the cat just recently neutered.

However, there are other possible reasons as well, including health issues (for one or both of the cats) - take a look at this article and see if it might help you figure out a potential cause.

Why Is My Neutered Cat Still Getting Busy?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have 10 and 12 neutered males that have been together 9 1/2 yr. Yoshi (older) has always been the more dominant with Sqeeker a who would rather have his head licked than anything else. About 2 yrs ago when Sqeeker is eating crunchies Yoshi will hold him by the scruff and sometimes have happy hips. Sqeeker usually just ignores him but when he's had enough he'll roll over and smack Yoshi. Since Sqeek doesn't mind and shows his displease when he needs to we've let them handle it.

If medical issues are ruled out it sounds like dominance play. Is your roommate cat intimidated by the behavior or fearful? Is your roommates cat reaching a mature age so seen as a challenger for top cat?