change in litter tray habits

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

Its been a while since I have been on here. Since I have been on here I have been on here I changed my living room around and ella and oddy. Seem to love it as its even bigger and more space for them to run around in. All fun apart from them wakin me at 6 am.
But since I was last on here. Both my girls have started to cover there number 2s up which is not normal for them. They are still quiet happy. Eating drinking etc.

But is it normal for 2 cats which have been together for nearly a year. Change there toilet habits so suddenly like they have done.
And the only thing different is I changed my livingroom round as mentioned before. I haven't changed any food or even there litter. Which is why I feel this is very wierd behavior change for them.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
If it was suddenly leaving poop uncovered or out of the tray I would worry, but this to me sounds like a change for the better.  Not just because your home should smell slightly better just after they have been in their tray for a bit of number 2 action, but because I think of leaving them uncovered as a bit of a statement.  Like 'I am here', kitty territory.  Some cats never cover, but if one starts to cover it suggests to me there is an increase in feeling secure. As nothing else seems to have changed and you think they are happy and playful with the new set up I am not inclined to worry. I could be wrong so see what others think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would never have thought of them as feeling more secure. But its still a bit wierd on my part as its both of them doing it now. When niether of them used to. It would be nice if they do feel more secure. But I changed my living room round just before christmas. An it felt cramped an disorganised so if I felt that before I changed it around again. I wonder how they felt.
Well they seem happy. I think they like the extra running space. An extra stalkin space for when they are playing. Its rather funny they both wiggle there bums when there stalking/playin. But they seem to no when to leave each other alone. That's when they come to me for attension :D

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hee hee, I used to love watching my girls stalk and pounce on each other like that, bums a wriggling.  Now if I see Mouse doing that I know I'm about to get my head pounced at. 

If the layout of the place is now more open maybe they have a clearer view and feel safer when they're in there because they can see each other better.

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is quiet fun watching them playing. Apart from when I almost fall over them coz they run infront of me when I am walking down the stairs lucky no accidents yet.
To be honest I would not like to be pounced on. Does Mouse pounce on you often.
Mouse sounds like quiet a cat. How come u called him Mouse.

Yeah the living room is definately. More open but I am sure I have just given them more places to hide.
As I am typing all I can hear from upstairs is thud thud thud. Sounds like they must be having fun ;):rbheart:

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:rub:
Yeah cute kitties. Running round. Its more like an hour than a half hour. But its all fun especially when u get to watch. Not to fun sometimes when they do wake u up an your having a really good sleep. But I don't mind :lol3:
Don't blame mouse for liking his sleep. I do 2 lol. It seems my kitties think its more fun to play an wake me up :D

Yeah a no the feeling mine seem to have the same concept. Them cat me human.
They also know I have no fur but the youngest oddy. Has quiet a grip an likes to bite sometimes. But that's only when we play. But I am sure she doesn't bite at her hardest. Otherwise I am sure it would really hurt. An leave bite bite an she never does. She doesn't mind leaving the odd scratch though :D

I don't get used as a climbing frame. I do get used as a place to sleep though. Sometimes very hard to move. An it is very cute. I don't like to move them. Unless I have a dead arm. Coz they do tend sleep on my arms. :D
At least he's good at controlling his bites now.
Sounds like he treats you as his mum. Which is sweet. At least he had his mum to play with. Sounds like he used to pounce on his mum a lot.
Mouse sounds like quiet the cat.
I don't think it would be a good idea any way to chew a cats neck. You would end up with a lot of fur in your mouth.
Only one of my cats let's me rub her belly. But they do like getting there fur brushed. Espiacally oddy she purrs like there's no tomorrow and she knows where it is so she follows me expecting being brushed again. Very cute. Even if a say so my self :lol3:
He doesn't look that chubby in the pictures very cute though.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
You are so lucky having lap cats, Mouse isnt in to that at all, snuggles up next to me but not on my lap - yet. I can always hope. He's not really that chubby but he does have what's commonly known as a spay belly, and sometimes if he's been a bit lazy he can be a little less lean than Russians should be. 
  Ella and Oddy sound cute, takes me back to when I got my first 2 cats, I'd just moved in to this apartment and got my 2 tabby girls right after, and never looked back.  One of them covered her poop like a good girl and the other left hers for all to see and smell - talk about staking a claim on your territory, she certainly did! 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

If it was suddenly leaving poop uncovered or out of the tray I would worry, but this to me sounds like a change for the better.  Not just because your home should smell slightly better just after they have been in their tray for a bit of number 2 action, but because I think of leaving them uncovered as a bit of a statement.  Like 'I am here', kitty territory.  Some cats never cover, but if one starts to cover it suggests to me there is an increase in feeling secure. As nothing else seems to have changed and you think they are happy and playful with the new set up I am not inclined to worry. I could be wrong so see what others think.
That's a good point--a change for the better.  If my old guy who leaves his stinky poops uncovered suddenly started covering them, I'd be happy!  
   Haha.  

It sounds like your kitties are happy and doing well !  

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never thought I was lucky having lap cats. Hopefully with time mouse will sit on your lap. Its probably just gonna take time. Like it did with ella. Its just a recent thing with her. How old is mouse. Hope u don't mind me asking.
See ella is slim. An I feel she could always do with putting on weight.
Especially before christmas she seemed a little thin. But thankfully she has put the wieght back on.
She is nearly 2. So I am hoping she will keep the wieght on.
Where as oddy. Nearly 1. Is broader an a bit chubbier than ella. An has never had issuses with her wieght (fingers crossed)
They are both tabby an white
But I have been thinking about moving an since they seem happy and settled
I would rather not unsettle them by moving. This is my first proper place of my own.
Its a 1 bedroomed house. Its not that I really need to move. Its move I feel I have to its getting to nearly 3 an a half years here almost the longest place I have ever lived maybe that's why I feel I want to move.
Both of them until the last few weeks. Neither of them covered. An then suddenly change there minds and start covering
Is leaving it uncovered about staking claim on their territory
Sorry for rambling on a bit

ellaoddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They seem quiet happy. And healthy.
So I hope they are.
Yeah they seem to be doing well.
Getting on together playing. Have there favorate sleeping spots.
Sometimes together. Most of the time they are separate where they sleep.
But I do enjoy watching them play together. No matter how much noise they can make :D

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Happy, healthy cats playing together. 

With covering or not covering poop, some cats just never learn to cover from when they are tiny.  Others can and do cover but choose not to for periods of time like one of my girls did.  She covered when she and her sister were young but as the years went on she got to taking over and made sure everyone knew the place was hers.  She had prime spots on all the furniture and always left her mark on the litter tray (and the floor at times). She always stood up and spray peed from little kitten days too.

Mouse just turned 3 earlier this week.  He's still a busy boy but does sleep a bit more these days.  He used to be an all day play machine that never tired out but has always curled up in bed with me pretty much all night!  Maybe he gets his fill of being a lap cat while I'm sleeping.