Change in cat dynamic

mojoseph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of you may remember, I joined this site in November because I had taken in a pregnant stray who had severe maternal aggression toward my other two cats. I was clueless about “introductions” and did everything wrong I could possibly do. I mean EVERYTHING wrong!

Things turned out slightly better than I deserved. She now gets along (or did) with my neutered male Drama. There has been no progress with her and my other female, Mostly Feral, but they each stick to their own floor of the house.

But it is Drama and Mama Catss’ relationship that has changed recently. I see them touch noses now and then, but she has taken to chasing him out of whatever room he walks into again. About 3 a.m. I caught her chasing him away from the bed and realized he hasn’t slept with us all week.

These attacks are nowhere near as brutal as when she first arrived. She looks smug after she goes for him now, not all puffed up and freaked out.  But he is now nervous and watchful again.

My husband thinks he heard Drama and Mama getting into it at the top of the stairs last week, which I would guess had something to do with the two females and their animosity. (Caught in the crossfire?) Drama and Mostly Feral are good buddies and he goes down and hangs with her, so we can’t keep the two females totally separated, just a cracked door with a barstool for a little barrier. It works most of the time to keep them from actually fighting. But they sure talk trash through the stool legs sometimes.

Any ideas about why Mama is suddenly being a little bully to her former friend? Would that one fight change things to this extent? Or has she just settled firmly into her place as the house tyrant?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So sorry you're going through this, it's so stressful for you and for the cats.  Have you tried any 'calming' solutions--Feliway plug ins, calming collars or treats?