Change in behaviour following illness

katharineh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2, 7 month old boys. I was away for a week over Christmas and when I got back they were both ill with a tummy bug - their first illness. Thankfully after a week they were back to normal eating loads and putting their weight back on. However, we're now a further week down the line and mainly in one, there is a big personality shift. Where he was chilled out and relaxed, he now whinges round the apartment all the time - that constant whiny meow day and night. He settles to sleep, but from 5am he's up again, which obviously gets the other one up (previously it was 6.30 which I could easily cope with!). He also demands constant attention, which up to a point I'm giving in the hope that this reassurance is what he needs. He is also clawing at the 2 mirrors I have in the bedroom - none of the other mirrors in the apartment...just these two and mainly at night. They've both been vet checked and I've been told they are healthy. Does anyone have any thoughts / suggestions about the behaviour change and anything I can do to chill him out. Aside from the xmas trip (not the first time I've been away and had the pet sitter in 2x day) and their being ill, there have been no other changes. Thanks!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are they neutered?

Remember they are still young and kittens love to play.  They go through stages and this may be a stage.  They have boundless energy so be sure you are having play sessions that really tire them out.  There is a play strategy called "Hunt, Catch, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep"  You play with the cat ( a da bird wand toy, other wand toy, laser pointer, etc..) allowing the cat to hunt, catch and kill the toy.  You really want them to be tired so play may take awhile.  Next you offer a yummy extra special snack or small meal to satisfy the "Eat".  After a play session and a bit to eat most cats will settle down to groom themselves and then take a nap.  This can be don multiple times each day. 

My cat scratches at the mirrors and my stainless steel fridge!  He's 7 years old and does this each day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katharineh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they are both neutered and no - they were at home. Thank you for alleviating my fears - I know they are still young so hopefully just a phase as you suggest!