Change in behavior because of cruelty

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's too bad that it's so expensive.  With the over-population of unwanted animals, you'd think more could be done to help prevent it.  I know how expensive vet bills can be, I have 3 cats and 2 dogs and have seriously considered checking into pet insurance...lol!  
Why Ishould it funny getting cat insurance. I wish I could here. England has fabulous cat insurances.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's available in USA and Canada too. It will remove stress from cats and promote a feeling of safety for them by artificial feline hormones.  I have used it for my cats, without it the one would now probably be taking seizure meds.   But the vet advised me to keep it here permanently too because the same one has idopathic stress induced cystitis. It keeps her on an even keel.  It is freely available at Amazon and usually also at your vets (at least in the UK amazon tho its at the .com store too.)  http://www.feliway.com/uk/
It's jolly expensive though for something that 'might' work. I read here of loads of people that it has no effect on their cats so think twice before buying. That's my advice.
I take it you're happy with it William.

deejay0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can pretty much guarantee it WILL work.
It's jolly expensive though for something that 'might' work. I read here of loads of people that it has no effect on their cats so think twice before buying. That's my advice.
I take it you're happy with it William.
You can pretty much guarantee it will work.  Little question about it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh. . .it depends why your cat is doing something. If the cat is scratching the couch because cats need to scratch but a suitable scratching post hasn't been provided, then Feliway isn't going to help. But it seems to work fairly well for anxiety-based behaviors. It's not cheap but if you buy from Amazon it's not too ridiculous either. Worth a try anyway.

They do have a guarantee but it looks like it only applies in the UK :/.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have made sure both cats have scratching posts (sturdy, well built). He never scratched (much) before, now he does it and WILL attack if you intervene. (My life seems to get harder with more and more to deal with...)

I'll look into Feliway. I have tried one spray from Wal-Mart and oh my god my cat loved it. NOT what it was supposed to do... (deter ).

As for pet insurance, I have looked into some of them but they require that you go to the city (45 minutes to 1. 5 hours), with specific vets. Sucks because I already had to hunt down a vet who deals with exotics!! So if I have an emergency it's a drive out to the city... And I have had a pup die within 30 minutes, before the vet could see him (unknown brain tumor). Then our great vet hospital here no longer does payment arrangements because of people ripping them off.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont know,cats survive many things.Was this really severe abuse??

or just another day for a homeless,hapless kitty.

We think we are such heroes,but really we have no idea what ALL THEY HAVE SURVIVED.

Perhaps I didnt read enough of your posts,however,cats are not witless  or without ability to survive.

Its kind of their ballywack!!

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If this honestly is "just another day" for homeless cats, then there aught to be a lot stricter laws about abuse. Besides, should our pets REALLY have to "survive"? How come we cannot offer them a chance to "thrive"? I could see it if maybe we just didn't pay enough attention to him, or forgot to fill the food bowl a couple times, or even the water bowl... That's not abuse. That would honestly be just another day for a homeless, hapless cat taken in by a busy person or persons.

What's abuse is being thrown against the wall, sat on (purposely), back legs grabbed, tail grabbed, smacked in the face, tossed around like a ragdoll (usually ending up hitting the furniture or NOT landing on his feet). 

I'll sum it up for you, so you know why I brought something like this up. Really, if I thought everything was peachy I wouldn't even be on this forum.

At 6 years old, parent's older basset-beagle, she sat on her back (ouch..), yanked on her ears, grabbed her back legs (she has arthritis), pulled on her tail, pinched her skin, smacked her... That dog USED to be the ideal family dog, now she hates younger children (yippy for me and my 11 month old...). She used to be fine with newborns and up!! VERY tolerant and VERY understanding. 

At 7 years old caused my 5 year bearded dragon to become so stressed that he refused to eat, had internal parasites, and lost a lot of weight. Only when I brought my concerns up with a savvy person, were questions asked and the truth came out.

7-8 years old... Abandoned  one year old white male cat, taken in during winter. Sweetest talkative cat ever. Over about 6 months, back legs pulled, face smacked, face forced into his water bowl, dragged by his tail, cornered or pinned down... Honestly, I had NEVER seen him bring out his claws. He did the whole "soft paw" play, even with his toys. After that he was not the same. He would attack you, just for standing there. Or if you went to pet him. Or if you went near where he was laying or hiding. Stopped using the cat box. Yes, he was fixed. He was under so much stress he hated every single person under that roof.

8 years old, yanked the back legs of her step-mom's 14 year old purebred Persian cat. Caused a great deal of pain. Did the same the other cats, smacked them, sat on them intentionally, cornered them... Caused PERMANENT mental trauma to one cat, who to this day will NOT set foot in the room she used to have. 

Age 9, aka now... Lacks the ability to notice things around her, including a feral kitten we took in (later rehomed) who was playing around her feet. Went to sit down on her chair, lifting it up slightly then bringing it down. Caught the kitten's paw under the chair. And just SAT THERE. With the kitten crying out in fear and pain, she just SAT THERE. Told her GET UP GET GET GET THE - UP!!" And ended up shoving her off the chair because she just. Sat. There. My reaction to a cat under my chair, is to jump up right away. Then check on the animal (apologizing profusely because I feel bad). When we checked the kitten over, she was sitting on the floor, and didn't have remorse in her eyes, she had anger. At me.

She would hit our cat in the head with the string-and-rod toy. With the rod. Or whip her in the face with the stretchy string. That's when I said she couldn't touch her ever again.

Now to this cat... Has tossed him heavily against the floor, laughing the entire time. He cried for me to get him out, right after that. She has had his back legs hit the TV when she threw him on another occasion. His skin has been pulled, when she "tried to get the scruff". He has been hit in the face, cornered, pinned... And he wouldn't hurt you. We were teaching him how to play with soft paws, which he WAS grasping so well! Now he bites (and draws blood), claws, slinks around like he has a heavy distrust of humans (think: feral or new cat in the house behavior). 

Do I think it was "severe"? Yes. But I guess it depends what "severe" translates to for people. My personal description of "severe abuse" is anything that compromises the animal's mental and physical well being, and especially if their life has been put on the line. Now, I have had dogs who I rescued, who did come from horrible homes. Worse than anything that happened here. Most come with a box full of fears, but yet each one of them is STILL so happy go lucky. They would rather shut down and curl up in a corner than put their mouth on you. So I guess each animal deals with stress differently... Most cats are fine with "just another day". But mental or physical abuse, should NEVER be "just another day". 

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That child is disturbed. It almost sounds like she needs to be in some sort of inpatient treatment facility.

You have mentioned abuse that she has inflicted upon other people's (yours included) animals. Does this mean, hopefully, that your niece does not own any pets of her own and will not have any animals at the home that she is moving to with her father and brother?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sena, one suggestion comes to my mind, stop interacting with the cat, ignore him for two weeks, just normal feeding etc. but no handling, no petting, no matter how much he begs.

Now he may be confused of your intentions, but of course not your fault, however as there has been quite a lot of events and also quite confusing events, it might be good if cat could see that humans around him are not doing anything to him and not wanting anything from him which might be enough to reset the situation.

If he is scratching top of your furniture, try put tinfoil there (just for few days), I have heard cats should absolutely hate stepping on that.

Also remember you can hiss back to cat, when getting scratched put on bit of act and say ow really sudden and loudly and you can then bend towards him a bit, hiss and then pull back so that your side faces towards cat while you stare him straight into eyes.
He understands then that is not thing to do, surely might got bit frighten but soon learns what causes such expression of dislike.
Pulling back is important as it shows that you are not challenging him to fight, but more of expressing dislike and being defensive.

We used to have lot of hissing discussions with my black cat before I could get him fixed, sometimes we even yowled each other, but he eventually understood how aggression has no use and after fixing he became very loving cuddly buddy, bit too much actually, he has tendency to trip me over, black cat in dim light is really difficult to see :D

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah they don't own any animals. He outright told her why they will never have a pet. She isn't even allowed in my house. I forgot about the hamster she also caused to be mean... blowing in her face or poking her with a pencil. That was the last pet they had which was rehomed bbefore the had their first (of many) move.

Good idea... we could definitely try that. I know that works for (some) dogs, so why not cats? He does respond to hissing... I have done it!! I noticed it only because when he would intrude on our cat's "personal bubble" she would hiss and he would go instantly submissive.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OH gosh, that was really a disturbing read.  At least her parent's aren't minimizing the need keep her away from animals at all costs.  Has anyone made the school psychologist aware of her history?  It wasn't uncommon for us to have animals in our classrooms from time to time when I was in school.  As I said, it really is a victory if you have been able to convince them that she needs to be quarantined from all animals - this sounds like a problem that is way over most people's ability to handle, never mind treat. 

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a meeting coming up, which that will be brought up because I DO care about her well-being (but anyone who knows me know that my animals come first), and shall needs to go on something asap... usually I don't condone medication because most (to me) are not necessary... But this, is on a whole new level! He's accepted that maybe she needs more than counselling.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Human's are wired for empathy the same way they are wired to walk.  If the nerves to her feet weren't working, no one would be prescribing talk therapy and tough love.  IMO it's really not fair to deny her medications that can get her to a point where she can benefit from other types of interventions.  A child with no impulse control ends up socially isolated and at the end of an awful lot of hostility.  In short, I agree with you that it's more than counseling can address.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can pretty much guarantee it WILL work.
You can pretty much guarantee it will work.  Little question about it.
I think worked for you. Plenty of people have bought it and complained it had no effect whatsoever. You just have to be lucky I suppose. I'm glad it worked for your kitty.

Last edited by a moderator:

arthursmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm speechless reading this. And that little boy looks so much like mine...ugh. I'm impressed you didn't throw them out of your house that day. I probably would have.

I hope he checks out okay physically and that you can overcome this horrible incident with your obvious patience and kindness. Check with rescue groups and see if they will subsidize the neuter given you're doing the other fostering work yourself.

Your niece sounds like a psychopath. Young children that harm or torture animals are at very serious risk for harming people as teenagers or adults. She may need some very, very serious intervention, perhaps beyond basic counseling and medication, before she does even worse things.

I'm still just flabbergasted.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly if I had learned about what she was doing sooner... They would've had overnight to get out. I had even left letters, one which stated that her behavior was going to make them homeless!! At least the abusive issue had been brought up to the psychiatrists, counsellors, etc. So they are aware (and shocked) about it. Honestly, I know what she can be (positive). Now it's just a pure fight to get there.

So far he has been okay, physically. He was a bit sore, but has been doing a lot better. Rescues won't pitch in for fixing animals... unless you hand them over. But at least he has been a lot less aggressive, we just need to work on teaching him what we taught our cat (not biting, soft paws, etc)

robin young

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for your post.  I am a new member and my beautiful cat's behavior has changed.  we gave him a bath because bugs got inside through an open window and got on him.  he is not himself.  he is an active 9 yr. old neutered male traditional Siamese seal point.  now he acts like he doesn't trust us or like us.  we talk to him, pick him up and try to get him to sit on the sofa and bed.  he sits on our laps on the bed and sofa but only for a few minutes.  when we need to get up for a second he doesn't wait for us and sits on the floor against a wall.  he is moving around more to eat and use little box.  he's going under the coffee table now.  he jumped on the tv today.  he lays on his back and lets us rub his belly.  he purrs so i'm not sure if he's recovering or not.  usually he hangs out at the front door, sleeps in the closet, jumps on counters, plays all the time..... we aren't sure what to do.  please someone explain what's happening.  thank you.