Change in behavior because of cruelty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no, there won't be a "will not move". He will be forcibly removed from MY property. We opened our home up to them, but that was obviously a mistake. He doesn't actually have rights to stay here.He was supposedr to be out January 1st, but is still waiting to hear from the new place as to when he can start moving his stuff in.

Yes, it is definitely rare for people to take responsibility for their actions, or actions of their children.

It is a 2 bedroom trailer... Which as you can tell makes things hard because we have 6 people in this house ;) (3 in the master, 2 in the living room, daughter in her own room). We already tried having my niece in the same room as my daughter but... turns out "vibes" are very strong to young children, and despite her NOT doing anything to her, she wouldn't sleep in the same room as my niece. I'm trying to figure out how we will have this place set up for the better. We have a backroom that we "could" put a door up to block off from the rest of the house. Or, we could set up a door int eh hallway, splitting the house into two and allowing both cats to have decent amount of space to themselves (at least until we can reintroduce, and see if they can't get along after he is fixed and less stressed).

I was asked by my nephew if his sister would be allowed near my reptiles yet. Considering the incident was about 2 years ago... I said no. It's a permanent ban. It's pretty much going to be that way for my house. She can wait in the car if he feels he needs to come over. Because of how USED we were while they were here, there's very little "kindness" left in my heart for anyone. funny thing is it wasn't me who let them be here.... I was iffy. My spouse pushed it out of the goodness of his heart, and is now regretting that decision. We've sworn off of opening our doors for people. If they need a place to stay, we'll find them a hotel.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is 9. Her brother is 11, and he is the trustworthy one. He's unbelievably great with animals, even if he is nervous at first.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, not sure how I missed the "brother" part. I guess I was projecting--thinking about my own sister. Anyway, your brother is absolutely legally responsible for the actions of his nine year old child and should be made to pay any vet bills that you incur. If he refuses, you could take him to small claims court. He really needs Judge Judy to yell at him and make him wet his pants! I don't know where you live, but animal abuse is a felony in some states. If you were to press charges against your niece, your brother would most certainly be forced to help with the vet costs, whether he wants to or not. I don't think you mentioned the children's mother. Is she not involved?

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 your brother is absolutely legally responsible for the actions of his nine year old child and should be made to pay any vet bills that you incur.
These situations don't have a cut-and-dry answer. Parents are not always responsible. Sena would have to check the parental negligence laws in her state, and it might turn out to not be worth it.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard many cases where visitors need to wait until they can move in but in those it has been too often so that they did not have any new places but were just stalling to leech more friendliness out from their hosts, I hope that situation is not similar.

Do you have definite proof about there being this new apartment where they are saying to be moving?

Court cases can get messy / expensive sometimes too, also if child has medical condition that causes for example inability to understand empathy, it might change how things turn out, even if child's parent is responsible, there probably is some points of 'humanly possible means' which may affect outcome greatly.

As with everything there are many sides to everything, hopefully situation normalizes soon, it might not be that there is much improvements to be expected before that.

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard many cases where visitors need to wait until they can move in but in those it has been too often so that they did not have any new places but were just stalling to leech more friendliness out from their hosts, I hope that situation is not similar.

Do you have definite proof about there being this new apartment where they are saying to be moving?
Totally agree. His story sounds a little fishy, so I'd ask for proof.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah... i am in Canada. It takes a lot for animal cruelty to be seen. My friend's chihuahua was stolen, her friend claimed she "ran away" but we knew the truth. Cops said they did not care because the dog was probably already dead. The Camrose Cat Killers "never happened", the kids were smacked on the hands and parents too. (Teens broke into a house, stole some stuff, and killed their beloved cat in such a horrific way... Seriously, every year this province makes me hate living here more and more.

I do realize this is mainly a USA site, but it is the first to not bash or outright attack me.
Her mom isn't mentioned because she passed away a few years ago. Her step mom kicked them out, my niece's behavior being one of the reasons. Quite a messed up and lengthy story, in detail.

An example of not even caring to help me: before the male cat joined our household we had saved up to fix our female. She found a hole in the floor in the bathroom due to previous owner's horrible dig reno.. i told everyone KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED BECAUSE THE CAT CAN ESCAPE. Even had a big bold message left on the door. One of the kids didn't listen. .. she's now due in a week. I was told by my brother that i should have had her fixed so it was really my fault. So, I have quite a few consequences to face :(

I just do not have any good luck.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And yes they have a place. It is two rooms rented, until he finds a suitable place... which he has a bid in for a townhouse for february.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah... i am in Canada. It takes a lot for animal cruelty to be seen. My friend's chihuahua was stolen, her friend claimed she "ran away" but we knew the truth. Cops said they did not care because the dog was probably already dead. The Camrose Cat Killers "never happened", the kids were smacked on the hands and parents too. (Teens broke into a house, stole some stuff, and killed their beloved cat in such a horrific way... Seriously, every year this province makes me hate living here more and more.

I do realize this is mainly a USA site, but it is the first to not bash or outright attack me.
Her mom isn't mentioned because she passed away a few years ago. Her step mom kicked them out, my niece's behavior being one of the reasons. Quite a messed up and lengthy story, in detail.

An example of not even caring to help me: before the male cat joined our household we had saved up to fix our female. She found a hole in the floor in the bathroom due to previous owner's horrible dig reno.. i told everyone KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED BECAUSE THE CAT CAN ESCAPE. Even had a big bold message left on the door. One of the kids didn't listen. .. she's now due in a week. I was told by my brother that i should have had her fixed so it was really my fault. So, I have quite a few consequences to face

I just do not have any good luck.
We have a lot of members from across the globe here.  
  It does sound like a complex issue and that your niece has been through some things.  It doesn't excuse her behavior; but it does shed some light on the situation.  I's very difficult to open your home and upset your own lives; even for family.  Unfortunately you are not the first to have things go sour and the adults involved chose to act like your brother.  It's a shame; but I'm glad to hear they should be in their own place soon.  

Please keep us updated on how the kitty is doing!

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news is that they are gone by the end of this weekend. Then we can figure out how to have the place set up for the cats and their well being.

iamspirit33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Precious one- U love the cat- u are a good person

A cat can move on in another environment 

The cat no longer feels safe nor do u with your child- there is a right -"perfect home" for this cat- God ordained

waste  no time finding it

Call the rescues etc

the cat will be ok in 24 hours in the right place 

u will get the perfect pet- and he will get his right home

I have been thru this move on

trust God I love u and the cat too- It wi all be ok 

God Bless

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Um... Thanks... But no. Sure, I could call rescues. none are taking cats, and if they would it would mean there would be just another cat on death row because here we are terribly overrun. I HAD the perfect home for him. Once he is back in a calm state, he will once again HAVE the perfect home. If she cannot take him, I do have another person in mind who might be able to take him. 

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think every city is overrun with them unfortunately. 

Whenever a pet goes to a shelter, odds are 50/50 at best if it's not a death sentence. That's a big reason why people have to think twice about giving a pet away or dropping them off a shelter. It's not about dropping them off and assuming they will find a home. It is all but a de facto death sentence.

Last edited:

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's even harder finding a home for them... cute kittens are snatched up (many of them won't stay with that family for life), older cats are not desired... i am pretty sure this cat was abandoned on the backroad we have across the field from us. He just... showed up. Never seen him here, and I know last year's colony litter. Same as the female cat riddled with tumors in her uterus. She just.... showed up. My house seems to be a beacon.

ocelot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could also move the furniture around?? Maybe read up on 'Psychopathy' because your brother and niece might have this or something similar. There's passive ones and violent ones and guess which one she sounds like [emoji]128552[/emoji] Stay clear but be polite.. anything almost to keep them at arms length. I feel for your nephew as you said he's not so bad.. Hopefully he mixes with enough good people to know right from wrong. All the best :)

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha my spouse actually is the one who said she needs to go to a crazy house. I said she's on the road to being a psychopath. Lack of understanding that others (including animals) feel pain, she treats each person different, she pins people against each other (or tried, but i took psychology and saw that from a mile away), and some of her behavior is subconscious and she doesn't remember them. We all know they start with animals... but it won't continue with mine. My brother has already told her he can never have animals. At least he knows he can't. I would be destroyed if I couldn't have animals.

cassthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! So so sad! 

Maybe you should get in touch with someone/people who know about cats. They might have advice. But I'm afraid I can't come up with anything myself.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, without him being in the room he's changed quite a bit. Still needs a physical, and needs to feel safe around my daughter (who is really good with pets for her age), because he is definitely sketchy around young women/girls. I may incorporate his "would have been" home's occupants, to get him used to women and girls who aren't cruel.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your brother moved out yet. Once they've gone the kitty maybe should see an animal therapist to get her back to how she was.

sena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are gone as of tomorrow. I've never seen an animal therapist here except equine.