Challenge with kitten introduction - Need advice

NorthNVCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I came to this site because I saw some previous thread responses from Animal Freak. I’ve run into a bit of a challenge, which after reading this thread, I’m looking for some insight and advice.
Situation: adopted a 4 month old kitten, he’s very laid back, inquisitive, and came from an foster/adoption home where there was free roaming for cats, kittens, and resident dogs. Visited the place several times, and it was amazing how they all got along.

brought him home, and our normal chill 3 year old female, won’t have anything to do with him. Followed the typical routines, but after a week, she still hides from him, hisses at him when he comes close, which he respects, but he wants to meet her and play. She hasn’t attacked

because of her “tude”; we can’t get her to eat near him, she won’t go to the door to his room to investigate, and unfortunately, even when we put him away for several hours, she’s not eating like normal, doesn’t come for treats and snack like she used to.

we can tell she’s agitated and stressed; but are unsure if we need to start over, which he won’t like very much; or if we need to press on, and see how it goes. Vets said they’ll figure it out, and one friend said maybe she wants to be a “only cat”.

Disclosure is that we had to re home a 4-yr old male cat @several weeks prior, because of agression and behavior issues which were directed towards her. We tried for 18 months to “smooth things” out, but he became more aggressive, outward territorially defense, eating her food, even attacking her when she was on our laps, etc. Horrible story, and we didn’t know about some it until we put security cameras inside the house.
She didn’t seem to miss the other cat, but after a few weeks, she seemed like she could use a buddy.

there is space for both of them in the house, separate litter boxes, feed bowls, toys, bedding, etc. did the separation for 4 days, then scent swapping, visual, rubs, time together. She just seem to want to do anything with him.
As I write this, kitten-he’s stashed away in his room, sleeping after meowing and throwing himself at the door for 15 minutes; it’s been about an hour. She’s sitting on the back of the couch near me, hasn’t eaten, has used her litter box, but didn’t go down the hall to investigate at any time.

please help. We’re stumped by this, as neither of us have had a bad experience with new animal introductions in all our years.

thank you.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its only been a week? Thats nothing. It doesn't sound like its going terribly. You could continue letting them work things out - vet is correct there.

You could potentially also go back and do more introduction stuff. A week isn't a long time. That said, I'd probably let them work it out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
one friend said maybe she wants to be a “only cat”.
I'm also of the opinion in this case to give your resident cat a complete break from having other cats around, based on her not eating or snacking. It sounds to me as though she's not ready, and might never be. Until you see her eating drinking and litterbox habits return to normal, I'd leave her be and I'd be very cautious about introducing another cat even then. Calming products, a purr toy and/or a heartbeat toy, your undivided love and attention, and Cat Music to help support her emotionally should do wonders to help her recover from the previous bad situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NorthNVCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me clarify: her eating habits only changed with kitten being introduced

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I came to this site because I saw some previous thread responses from Animal Freak. I’ve run into a bit of a challenge, which after reading this thread, I’m looking for some insight and advice.
Situation: adopted a 4 month old kitten, he’s very laid back, inquisitive, and came from an foster/adoption home where there was free roaming for cats, kittens, and resident dogs. Visited the place several times, and it was amazing how they all got along.

brought him home, and our normal chill 3 year old female, won’t have anything to do with him. Followed the typical routines, but after a week, she still hides from him, hisses at him when he comes close, which he respects, but he wants to meet her and play. She hasn’t attacked

because of her “tude”; we can’t get her to eat near him, she won’t go to the door to his room to investigate, and unfortunately, even when we put him away for several hours, she’s not eating like normal, doesn’t come for treats and snack like she used to.

we can tell she’s agitated and stressed; but are unsure if we need to start over, which he won’t like very much; or if we need to press on, and see how it goes. Vets said they’ll figure it out, and one friend said maybe she wants to be a “only cat”.

Disclosure is that we had to re home a 4-yr old male cat @several weeks prior, because of agression and behavior issues which were directed towards her. We tried for 18 months to “smooth things” out, but he became more aggressive, outward territorially defense, eating her food, even attacking her when she was on our laps, etc. Horrible story, and we didn’t know about some it until we put security cameras inside the house.
She didn’t seem to miss the other cat, but after a few weeks, she seemed like she could use a buddy.

there is space for both of them in the house, separate litter boxes, feed bowls, toys, bedding, etc. did the separation for 4 days, then scent swapping, visual, rubs, time together. She just seem to want to do anything with him.
As I write this, kitten-he’s stashed away in his room, sleeping after meowing and throwing himself at the door for 15 minutes; it’s been about an hour. She’s sitting on the back of the couch near me, hasn’t eaten, has used her litter box, but didn’t go down the hall to investigate at any time.

please help. We’re stumped by this, as neither of us have had a bad experience with new animal introductions in all our years.

thank you.
Cat introductions done rightly generally take 2 weeks or more. Check out some of Traveler's Garden's YouTube videos about how she introduced her resident cat to her new kittens:
The comments section is helpful, too.