CET toothpaste, how often?

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been giving mine a dab on his plate after every soft meal. Got to thinking that 4-5 times a day might make him sick though?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah but you can get CET online w/o a vet reco. I have a tube of the seafood flavor... and a tube of Petrodex malt flavor. I have to kitty wrestle everyone but Archie to get them to take it. I rub it on their teeth with my finger - fastest and most efficient way.. though I am sure not as good as a brush.

I do it every other day, except with Arch who was formally diagnosed with periodontal disease... I try to remember to give him a dab every day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yeah but you can get CET online w/o a vet reco. I have a tube of the seafood flavor... and a tube of Petrodex malt flavor. I have to kitty wrestle everyone but Archie to get them to take it. I rub it on their teeth with my finger - fastest and most efficient way.. though I am sure not as good as a brush.

I do it every other day, except with Arch who was formally diagnosed with periodontal disease... I try to remember to give him a dab every day.
does either tube have directions on it?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

does either tube have directions on it?
I can look and let you know. I believe the Petrodex recommends brushing 2-3x a week at a min.

I also give CET chews to the ones who will eat them... once daily.

(the cats and I are not under the same roof. I house them at my condo. I will look when I go over there later this morning to feed them, etc.)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lol.. your cats get their own place ... what a great MOM
... Thank you I do not have any toothpaste as I use other detifrices

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I threw the package away, BUT, the directions are to brush daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Besides that, as directed by the vet...
I read the directions throughly, as I bought it with the intention ti give a dab to Bugsy daily, as I knew it would be impossible to brush his teeth... There is nothing on the directions in regards to that - unless your vet tells you to do so, you are out of luck with CET.

I would say ask your vet, but IMO since the directions is to be used daily, this might be too much (4-5 times a day, what you are giving). I would give a dab once a day, at night, or just do what addiebee does, rub it over their teeth - you can just spread it over it, and the enzymes will do the rest.

In my case, now that I know Bugsy's mouth is SO sore, I am not going to mess with brushing until it is in much better shape. I will ask about it on his 1 month follow up.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

lol.. your cats get their own place ... what a great MOM
... Thank you I do not have any toothpaste as I use other detifrices
Yeah - it's the swingin' bachelor pad! LOL! Going OT here....

Actually, this is out of necessity. I live with/look after my elderly mom. I wanted to save these guys from euthanization. I had no place else to put them. Mom HATES cats!!! NO animals in the house. Sooo.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the replies! I will go down to once a day and also get those chewables.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I happen to have a new tube of CET still in the box. The box reads:

"Use soft bristled toothbrush. Apply daily or as directed by your veterinarian. Your veterinarian may give you specific directions; follow professional advice closely."

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was still using CET, I used it with a toothbrush 3-4 times per week. A feline vet we saw recommended using a finger in place of the brush and claimed it worked just as well, which I really wasn't sure about (I continued with a brush). She was concerned about brushes damaging the gums if not used properly and with too much force.

We now use Biotene instead because my regular vet said it contains much less chemicals than CET.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you brush with the Biotene? Or do you just smear it on? If so, do you still continue to brush the teeth with another toothpaste. I use a cat specific toothbrush rather than the general pet one. It's far from perfect (a longer handle for better control would be nice) but it's an improvement over all the other stuff I tried. Problem is that my cats love the toothpaste but hate the brushing! So the pain of it really discourages me from brushing more than once or twice a week. I know I should do better. I do give them PlaqueOff daily.

http://www.amazon.com/C-E-T-Toothbru...DateDescending

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tdonline

Do you brush with the Biotene? Or do you just smear it on? If so, do you still continue to brush the teeth with another toothpaste. I use a cat specific toothbrush rather than the general pet one. It's far from perfect (a longer handle for better control would be nice) but it's an improvement over all the other stuff I tried. Problem is that my cats love the toothpaste but hate the brushing! So the pain of it really discourages me from brushing more than once or twice a week. I know I should do better. I do give them PlaqueOff daily.

http://www.amazon.com/C-E-T-Toothbru...DateDescending
The Biotene I have is a gel that you spread over the teeth - a 1/2 in strip in each side, daily; no need to brush. There is also another one Called Pet Gel, that is quite popular, I have it here at home, but never used... Also no brushing.
I will discuss it with my dentist all possibilities on Bugsy's next consult now, on the 16th.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Petrodex AND just got a tube of seafood flavor CET TP .... Soo... I should be using Biotene instead? Man....

I am also using PlaqueOff in their wet food once a day.... it's been about two weeks and I think... think... their teeth are looking better and Jakie especially his breath is a little better b/c he likes to kiss my face!

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tdonline

Do you brush with the Biotene? Or do you just smear it on? If so, do you still continue to brush the teeth with another toothpaste. I use a cat specific toothbrush rather than the general pet one.
I brush with it for maximum benefit. I use it as toothpaste.

This is the brush I use -- I've tried some other ones, but didn't really like them.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I happen to have a new tube of CET still in the box. The box reads:

"Use soft bristled toothbrush. Apply daily or as directed by your veterinarian. Your veterinarian may give you specific directions; follow professional advice closely."
This is also what it says on the tube of c.e.t. I am looking at right now.

I use my finger, not a brush, (per my vet) and rub the c.e.t. on my cats' teeth every night at bedtime. (also per vet) I brush my teeth, then theirs, it's a nightly routine.