Cerenia injection - still not eating - support needed.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello wonderful cat people,

I am really freaking out about one of our kittens.
Chunk, 9 months old, was not interested in eating breakfast this morning (5am). He then began vomiting clear liquid and foamy clear liquid every 15 minutes for 2 hours. I decided to take him to his vet since he wouldn’t eat or drink in addition to the vomiting.
Vet did an X-ray and found no evidence of an obstruction and said all he saw was poop in there. They gave him an injection of cerenia to stop the nausea and vomiting and boost his appetite.

Chunk became very quiet when we got home. He has not eaten all day and not had any water. He also was walking extremely slow like he was in pain or something. At around 6pm (9 hours after the injection and vet visit), he still would not eat or drink. I have given him Pedialyte by syringe several times and gave him kitten replacement milk (Breeder’s Edge) by syringe as well. Once he has some of both, he perked up and is now walking normally but is still really tired and quiet.

At 7pm, I tried a Churu and he wouldn’t eat any. I put some in his mouth and he spit it out. I fed him a few small pieces of his wet food by hand but had to force it into his mouth. He did eat those but will not eat more. Gave him more pedialyte and milk. He is still not himself but not as off as he was earlier. He will not play and is still occasionally smacking his lips. I guess he is still nauseated. I then googled Cerenia and came across horror stories of pets who reacted terribly to the injection and the pill. Now I am beyond terrified he is reacting to the injection and won’t get better.

I called the vet office. They said the injection wears off in 24 hours and if he still won’t eat, bring him back. I don’t know that I trust them fully because they basically did such a fast exam and X-rays and said it was nothing to worry about. I just feel really lonely. I am coming out of a deep depression and I am panicking about something happening to Chunk as well as the financial costs of repeatedly taking him to the vet. If anyone can offer any advice or support, I would be so grateful.

How do I know if he isn’t getting worse? When is too long for a kitten his age to go without eating? Without water? How can I help him?
Thank you for reading this. I apologize for the length.

Some pics of our baby: Chunk being playful a few days ago and Chunk purrito’d for hissing today at the vet.

577BE62A-CB9B-4FFE-A375-C540665F852D.jpeg
4BF0F49C-6A47-4FD0-815F-2A2B572B6842.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, is there a different vet you could talk to, or an emergency vet?

Maybe something here will be useful;
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you for the article and resources. I actually did talk to another vet clinic and they said the same thing. To wait and see if he eats when the injection wears off. He also hasn’t used a litter box all day. I keep putting him in them to see if he will go but he won’t. I had a similar situation with our other kitten on Saturday and did go to the ER vet. They treated her with the same protocol as the local vet treated Chunk today. She also got a Cerenia injection but a lower dose because she is smaller. It did really help her and she ate when we got home. It is not having the same effect on Chunk. The vet I went to today is the low cost vet in our area. They are very busy all the time and don’t take as much time examining as the other vet we use. I’m just second guessing ever taking him there. I hope he will be okay and start eating and using the litter box soon.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 is probably right and there isn't need to worry much over the 24 to 36 hrs. When the x-rays showed poop in Chunk, did the vet think there was a constipation issue? Since Chunk hasn't used the litterbox just yet, could that be a factor? It may seem odd, but being constipated can make a cat really lethargic and seem quite ill and also mess with their appetite. If you have some of the laxatone hairball gel, try to give him some over the next couple of days like it says on the package and see if that might help him use the box and feel better.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He should be okay in 24-36 hours. Continue with pedialyte every so often. I have seen this before. His system needs to settle. Sorry you are going through this!
Thank you :) at around 4am I heard the kitty herd of thunder running up and down the stairs! I never thought I’d be so happy to hear them making suck noise at that time! He seems better and he finally urinated in the litter box. He still hasn’t eaten much and he hasn’t pooped but he is doing so much better and is almost fully back to his curious, playful self. I will keep giving him pedialyte and watching him closely. Thank you for replying and your advice. :)

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 is probably right and there isn't need to worry much over the 24 to 36 hrs. When the x-rays showed poop in Chunk, did the vet think there was a constipation issue? Since Chunk hasn't used the litterbox just yet, could that be a factor? It may seem odd, but being constipated can make a cat really lethargic and seem quite ill and also mess with their appetite. If you have some of the laxatone hairball gel, try to give him some over the next couple of days like it says on the package and see if that might help him use the box and feel better.
The vet didn’t mention constipation but I think he may be since he still hasn’t pooped. He is doing better and is back to playing with his sisters and causing mischief. I will get a tube of the laxatone. I saw it at PetSmart. Hopefully he will poop sometime today. Thank you for your advice and response. I appreciate you! I was so worried. :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see that Chunk is on the mend! Sometimes Pedialyte and a clear diet of broth gives the digestive system time to calm down and heal. My vet has me boil up chicken breast or hamburger, with a little pink salt added, and offer that and then slowly add the meat itself and/or Gerber Stage 2 meat thinned with Pedialyte or good water (filtered, bottled or good well).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some pumpkin every other day might help into he future or some coconut oil if you notice he hasn't gone. This was what the vet recommended.

You can also speak to the vet about what dose of Restorilax he can take. Nobel is on 1/4 tsp twice a day for lazy bowels. It's a human product but safe for cats and very effective.

Steamed chicken through a blender has been used in an emergency over here! Little pumpkin added usually to calm the tummy.

Glad to hear he's doing better 💕