Cerenia Anti-vomit Injection For Cats

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is anyone familiar with Cerenia? We had to go to the vet tonight to get some x-Rays to make sure my girl wasn’t backed up since she wasn’t passing any bowel movements—but guess who went TWICE in the car?? My baby gets really carsick. I’ve never seen a cat have such a severe reaction to riding in a car before, and I travel a good forty minutes to this vet because they’re better than everyone in the area. They gave her an injection of something called Cerenia for the nausea and to keep her from vomiting on the way home. Is anyone familiar with this drug? And, if so, do you know if there are any side effects I should keep an eye out for?

Also, the amount of stress on her tonight was unlike anything I’ve ever seen. And I’ve definitely seen her stressed. Is there behavior I should look for when it comes to how well she’s coping after a stressful experience? She came home, ate, and has been napping ever since.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats haven't had it but many here have. I haven't seen any side effects talked about here. It works very well for many cats and not so well for others. The ones that it didn't work for it wasn't side effects, it just didn't seem to help.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby had a bout of vomiting back in the summer. When it continued into the 2nd day I took her to the vet, and they gave her a shot of Cerenia for the nausea.

I had to wait a couple hours before feeding her to give it time to work, and when she did eat, she was fine, and I did not see any side effects to the injection.

Here's the Cerenia website, if you want to check it out:
Prevent Your Cat From Vomiting, Treat Vomiting in Cats

I hope your cat's feeling better today.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista sometimes gets anorexic on Cerenia. Doesn't sound like that was a problem with yours. Other than that, she seems to tolerate it well.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I believe B babiesmom5 has experience with Cerenia. Perhaps she will see with post and offer her first hand knowledge of it.
It was kind of you to think of me @FreebysOwner. I have used both injectable Cerenia and the pill form for several cats. I will tell you my experience.

Cerenia is an anti-vomiting drug that was developed for car sickness in dogs, but is used "off label" for cats also. Basically, Cerenia blocks the nausea/vomiting reaction.

I have found the injectable form is quicker acting and lasts longer and is more effective. It does sting slightly when injected.

I have not seen any adverse side effects in my cats. It did what it is suppose to do...block the nausea/vomiting reaction; thus the cat eats and feels better. Effects last about 24 hours.

The pill form is slower acting and does not last as long as the injectable, but still is effective, plus you don't have to take the cat to the vet.

Since your cat gets very carsick, you might want to ask your vet for a pack of Cerenia to have on hand for future car trips. This is what I do. Cat has a 1 1/2 hr trip to the IM vet, so I give Cerenia several hours prior to the appointment giving it time to work. I have found this to be very helpful.

I hope your kitty is feeling better very soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brdwybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thank you, everyone! Sorry I’m just now seeing all this. You guys answered exactly everything I was curious about. My kitty is doing great today! No side effects and seems to be completely over any stress. I’m so thankful! Thank you for the advice on future car trips, and I hope you and your fur-babies are well! ❤