Cerebellar Hypoplasia Kitten Tips

StanDanDeliver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I'm sorry if this has been asked on this forum a lot, but I need help. I just recently adopted two 7 week old kittens, brothers whom I've named Weeble and Fry, and I am pretty sure little Weeble was born with Cerebellar Hypoplasia. He has a difficult time keeping his balance, but he can stand upright at times and can even chase after his brother for a few feet. After a trip to the vet, the veterinarian ran some tests to see what he could possibly have. At first he was tested for leukemia and that came back negative, so now I am having to give him clindamycin hydrochloride for three weeks to see if it is something else. However the vet said that he literally screams Cerebellar Hypoplasia. I am here now to ask for any help and advice on making sure he grows up into a healthy kitty. I've already researched into CH cats and here is what I have done so far.

1.) I cut out a low entrance into a large plastic tube and made it into a litter box. However, he still has a lot of difficulty going on his own. He occasionally has accidents outside of it, but when I see him trying to use it I always have to support him. Is this ok?

2.) The kennel I adopted them from wasn't really the best. The lady caring for him kept bottle feeding him while feeding his brother dry kitten food, so little Weeble barley weighs .8lbs, while Fry weighs 1.8lbs. I've tried feeding Weeble dry kitten food and even canned kitten food from a raised bowl but he cannot eat it without falling over and giving up. He also can't drink out of a raised water bowl. Instead I've been holding him and spoon feeding him canned cat food and giving him water from a bottle. Is this ok to do? Should I refrain from this so that he can learn to use the bowl?

Despite being tipsy, he acts just like a normal kitten. He doesn't let it affect him and is constantly playing and tormenting his brother. I really, really wish to care for him, but I'm just extremely worried that I won't be able to raise him right. I want to give him the life he deserves, so any help or advice would be extremely appreciated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no personal experience with CH kitties, but from those who have owned (been owned by) them I know they need love. I think you have that covered! Your kitty will grow up just like a normal kitty and will do the normal kitty things, just with a little extra pep in his step. I think the biggest thing is to find something that works for you. Perhaps use puppy pads around the litter box to catch any misses. You'll probably have to get creative.

Here a couple of other threads I found about CH kitties.

Cerebellar Hypoplasia

Cerebellar Hypoplasia cat care tips