Ceder Wood

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband is storing ceder wood in his shop to build window boxes for me. He has a shop kitty who lives out there. Will the fumes from the wood cause problems for her.? She won't be scratching it as he has  it stacked in a corner and  she cannot reach it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've head that ceder wood fumes are dangerous for small animals, such as mice and hamsters, but not for larger animals. The only problem seems to be that cats don't like the smell of ceder wood. Ceder oil is sometimes suggested as a feral cat deterrent, but ceder is also used for wood chip cat litter.

It won't do her any harm, but she probably won't like it. Is there another room the cat could stay in while your husband is working with the ceder wood?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your prompt response. Had to leave her and the outdoor kitty inside the shop last night.We had a flood of sorts here (live in the Gulf Coast),so no alternative ,as I have three inside kitties ,who do not want any other cat in their territory. They seem to have done fine. The ceder goes outside today to  be used.So hopefully all is well. Kind of strong smell in there. But the kitties are outside now........Thanks again. Appreciate your comments.Have a great day!