CBD OIL

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lulu is an anxious cat. I spoke to the vet today about her last couple of days and suspecting she has Hyperesthesia for a while now. I asked her about CBD oil and she said she couldn’t recommend it but said I could try it and it could help her.
What is your experience with it? Is it something that needs to be used daily? It’s pretty pricey.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is worth a try. But your vet is right. She can't recommend it because there just aren't enough studies out there. I would buy a big dog product. The oil is the same but it's more concentrated for large dogs. That means you could start with 1 drop (instead of half a dropper like some of the cat formulas) and see how it goes. Give it a week before adding another drop if you're not seeing the result you want.

CBD has a very broad safety margin. You'll see her get lethargic (sedated) before it ever becomes a problem for her from a toxicity standpoint. The very important exception to this is that you don't want to mix CBD with other drugs. They can interact. You especially don't want to administer steroids and CBD or gabapentin and CBD at the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I ordered from PETLY earlier. I got the cat one but if it helps her then I’ll get the bigger one next time. I’m also hoping the change back to her other food will help this present issue. Finn doesn’t know what’s going on. His playmate is non-existent Right now.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other reason I recommend a big dog product is because cats don't always go for the taste of the oil even mixed with food. The less you have to mix into their food, the easier the sell. You may want to look into whether there is a satisfaction guarantee or return policy on the cat product if she doesn't like the recommended amount in her food.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried the oil from a couple of different places. The MCT oil made all my cats itch and lick obsessively. It also didn't have the desired effect.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Canna-Pet small pet capsules on my boy when he has a flair up. He goes from wildly itchy and running crazy to calm in a matter of minutes. You can mix the powder in canned food or just pop the capsule in their mouth. I also use it on my dog who has seizures. She gets one twice a day along with her anti seizure meds. It definitely helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Canna-Pet small pet capsules on my boy when he has a flair up. He goes from wildly itchy and running crazy to calm in a matter of minutes. You can mix the powder in canned food or just pop the capsule in their mouth. I also use it on my dog who has seizures. She gets one twice a day along with her anti seizure meds. It definitely helps.
For the cat do you just use it as needed? Or daily?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all of you for posting this information. Mingo is terrified of the vet's, and I mean scared s**tless. Literally. They think he's hostile, but I know he's just terrified. I've been wondering if some CBD oil or cannabis before he goes to the clinic might help him mellow out while he's there. I'll look into these products. They are all new to me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used Innovet which is organic. Chelsea, the cat, hated it and in light of other meds and conditions she has, I don't try to use it regularly. It was used more consistently for the dog and I was never sure it did anything but, again, he is older and takes a number of meds.

The less you have to mix and work to get into her, the easier it will be. Some other clients at my vets's offices have been very happy with CBD products and some have not, so it is sort of uncharted water. My animals had absolutely no side effects from it.