Cbd Oil For Cat?

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm considering trying CBD oil for one of my cats in hopes it might alleviate some persistent behavioral issues which are getting severely out of hand. However I see that there seems to be dozens of different brands of this for pets and naturally they all have conflicting customer reviews, some say a brand is great, others say it sucks...you get the idea. Does anyone here have any recommendations for what brand to go with?
I've heard that some less "pure" CBD solutions can contain trace amounts of THC and may not be safe for a cat. I've also heard of CBD causing seizures in pets as well, which I obviously don't want.
I want a brand that is likely to be effective, but first and foremost I want to be confident that it will be safe for my cat.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use CBD to prevent seizures in my dog. I've never heard of it causing seizures. If you use CBD from hemp there's no THC. I use Canna Pet brand. I get the capsules because I mostly use it on my dog, but I do use it on one of my cats when he needs it for hypersythenistia. I'm also looking into getting some CBD treats from Holistapet for one of my kitties who seems to have developed cystitis.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you share where you are located?

I am going to make two posts to keep it cleaner. Post 1 on THC toxicity.....

It actually takes a sizable amount of THC to cause physical problems. In dogs it takes 3g/kg to cause toxicity which can be fatal but often isn't. There isn't a solid number for how much it would take for toxicity in cats but the only known cat toxicity case the cats blood reading was various levels for the different types of THC but around 4 ng/ml of blood is around the average reading (Marijuana intoxication in a cat). But that's how much was in the cats blood, not how much was injested.

Assuming cats are more sensitive, since they tend to be, I personally make an extremely broad assumption that anything less then 0.25mg/kg of THC is safe for cats. So even if less pure types of CBD contain THC it would take a good amount to cause problems, which is NOT saying it's okay to give a cat THC high CBD oil or marijuana in general. THC is an unknown and long term use in cats is unstudied. Anyone giving a cat CBD oil in general is taking a risk and must make the best informed decision they can.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Post 2, more to the specific post with the THC component explained. This information is from my own research and I am not an expert. Please do your own due diligence as well.....

There are several different CBD oils out there and they fall into two general categories.

1) Hemp based CBD oil
2) marijuana based CBD oil

While hemp and marijuana are both part of the cannabis family they are different plants. Hemp is a fiber plant with less than 0.3% THC, it is hardy and can grow in many different areas. Hemp is traditional used in production and manufacturing purposes. Marijuana has more THC and needs more specific growing conditions. Marijuana is the one that has traditional medicinal and recreational purposes.

With the advances in medical marijuana usage, people figured out a way to get CBD out of hemp. The benefit of hemp based CBD being primarily that it is legal because of the 0.3% THC level and it is easier to grow/produce. This makes it legal and able to be shipped. However, hemp based CBD oil is not chemically the same as marijuana CBD oil. It can be beneficial for people and animals with specific conditions but it won't be as effective, have the same dosage or effects as marijuana.

When you are seeing reviews of CBD oil online that probably means you are looking at hemp CBD oil. General rule of thumb, if it can be shipped it's hemp, if you have to go to a dispensary it's marijuana. Marijuana, where legal, is closely regulated and mointored so the overall quality tends to be higher and more consistent.

The thing about hemp CBD oil is you have to be careful about it being full spectrum, grown in the USA and processed in the USA. You also want to know what else is in the product and if your cat is okay with it. Ideally, Kentucky but other states are good too. You don't want China grown or processed ever. Safety with hemp CBD oil isn't because of trace amounts of THC but from unsafe growing or processing practices.

The mixed reviews could be because of it being less effective, it being a different growth, the binder oils, the added ingredients. People are sensitive to different things so the same product won't work the same. Also if a company changes their source it will change the product.

The other problem could be dosing recommendations. No one truly knows what the "right" dose is. Companies want you to buy more so they recommend higher doses. So if you try it, start lower then recommended by the manufacturer.

I can't recommend a specifical hemp CBD oil. I live where marijuana is legal so I use a marijuana CBD oil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kazanlak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you share where you are located?
I'm in the US, Maine specifically.
I guess, yes, technically I was looking at Hemp CBD oil but Im not super knowledge on the plants themselves and didn't realize hemp didn't have any THC content. I just figured it was related to marijuana and perhaps had some amount of THC in it too.

I had hemp oil recommended to me by a cat behaviorist I had sought out to deal with my cat's issues. At the time I was like "yeah, I'll take that under advisement..." and kinda blew it off, being rather disappointed with the behaviorist's "new agey" holistic suggestions.

My cat has an issue with anxious, attention seeking behavior and excessive vocalization, especially at night. I've tried tiring him out with play sessions, but he's not much of a player and loses interest way before he gets tired. I've tried Feliway, and it had no noticeable effect. I've tried feeding him a large meal before I go to sleep and he simply decides he wants to be fed again two hours later.
My GF and I can't sleep in the same room because of how vocal he is, and his constant attention-seeking whining is a source of stress for her. He's twelve years old currently and has been very vocal his whole life, but my GF is really starting to lose her patience with him and gets angry when he makes noise.
Interestingly, when I'm not home my GF says he is usually quiet and well behaved. It's only when I'm home that he becomes loud and demanding.
Because over time I've learned to ignore his whining at night to some degree, and will sometimes sleep through it he has altered his tactics. For a while when he wanted me to wake up and feed him he would attack his sister, knowing the sounds of the resulting fight would prompt me to get up.
Lately he has now changed his MO from beating on the other cat to apparently deliberately waking up my GF instead, going to the bedroom door and yowling, seemingly in anticipation that she will get up, enraged, and come out to the living room to wake me up and demand I feed the cat so he shuts up.
I was hoping CBD oil might calm him down during the evenings and overnight period. The behaviorist had indicated it could help with excessive vocalizing.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So it looks like our state is going to have marijuana legal in mid next year. At that point I would definitely look into pet CBD options. Not human options because of the oila d possible added ingredients. Those are state specific because they can't be shipped to different states. I do know what you mean about new agey holistic advice. I am definitely against trying unproven things, using marijuana recreationally (I don't even drink) and layering up supplements. But my boy has arthritis at 4 years old and he doesn't respond well to pain medication or anti-inflammatorys. I had thrre options: 1) modern medicine that leaves his grumpy and has bad side effects. 2) Let it continue to get worse when at 4 years old he could barely get on a chair or 3) give CBD a try. After just two months at a third the recommended dose he made a four foot vertical jump without trouble. My girl is on it for her anxiety now and after two months she let my Mom hold her without crying out for the first time ever (former feral).

For now, it wouldn't hurt to try a hemp CBD oil. My general understanding is that hemp CBD is more effective for physical than behaviorial problems. Things like arthritis will respond fairly well while anxiety might not respond at all. But, it really doesn't hurt to try. I'd just switch to marijuana CBD when it's available or give it a shot if the hemp doesn't work for you.

Like I said, look for full spectrum. Ask where it is grown, processed and what else is in the oil. You want a carrier oil that is cat friendly and no extras added in.

As to your situation, your girlfriend or you responding is encouraging the behavior to continue. Cats don't differentiate between goodgand bad attention. In most cases it takes two weeks straight of absolutely no response to night time noise for your cat to realize it won't get a response. Even one tiny response of just saying his name or looking at him will reset the two week clock.