Cbd For Cats

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever used pet cbd treats or tinitures? Wondering if anyone has any good/bad experience with these things.

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read about it. The thing that I'm not sure about is either how they make it or the additives. I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong) propylene glycol isnt good for cats (it's a food additive not to be confused with the chemical in antifreeze.) And a lot of cbd oils have that in them. Some have vegetable glycerin and I dont know about that either. Both are fine for people but you would have to consult a pet dietitian or a vet.
Also how they extract it. C02 extraction is the best. No chemicals. Others use hexane. I worked in a laboratory for 8 years and I can tell you hexane is not good at all. Anything they use for an extraction is going to be an organic solvent unless they use C02 extraction. You should do extensive research and then consult professionals to be sure
Hope that helps

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of the above is right.
We used Petabis Organics (it is based on olive oil) for Kitty in his last days. I think it made him comfortable. I analyzed the solution and it was mainly CBD, you don't want any THC on it.
Polyethylene glycols and polypropylene glycols are almost everywhere in food, wouldn't worry too much about them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The brand that I was looking at says co2 extraction but I didn't know what that really meant so at least that's good. My vet suggested putting my cat on amitriptyline for anxiety but I really dont want to put her on a medication like that just because shes and anxious cat. Shes fine most of the time but shes been having some redirected aggression with the other cat shes been with for 5 years. I've just been trying to research some different options that might help her mellow out without being on a drug with weird sides effects. I do have composure calming treats from the vet that are natural and seem to help for about an hour, but want something that I can give her that might last a bit longer than that.

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would also find out what dosage, but like I said, talk to a nutritionist or a professional. I have cbd and for humans the dose is 1 to 3 drops so its gotta be way less for cats.
I agree with the meds. I'm in that boat right now, I'm not giving my old car meds to make him sick and miserable with the time he has left. Vets push meds way too much and never offer alternatives. I even asked my vet about natural alternatives and he said, I know people like to do that but they really dont work. Come on, there has to be something that works! God made all this stuff around us to use, people did in ancient times, but now big pharma is pushing their dangerous stuff. I dont know sometimes
I hope you have luck finding a good product and dose. And please let me know if it works. I might need it soon.
(Sorry for the rant)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah they dont make it as strong for pets anyhow, they're little and dont need it to be strong like human products.
My friend gives cbd to their dog thats why I was wondering if anyone had any experince using it with cats. They definitely make all sorts of products, treats, oils, tinitures just for cats specifically.
I'm going to get a few opinions but im probably going to give it a shot unless I'm strongly advised not to. Im going to try the treats and start off with a super low dosage just like the all natural calming treats shes already on from the vet. I'll let you know how that goes once I actually order them and try them out! Have to wait until pay day though!

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found an oil that I'm going to get for myself. Its organic, zero thc, co2 extraction, grown in Kentucky and third party tested. Plus they use coconut oil as a medium for the oil. The dropper even has small measurements down to .25ml. They sent me a dosage chart for animals and have testimonials from people who use their products on their pets. I'm going to ask my vet this week and see what he says (he told me that cbd couldn't hurt but I want to make sure this one is safe) and I will let you know what he says
The product is medterra. So you can look it up

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Canna-pet brand. I use it everyday for my dog who has epilepsy and when needed for my cat, Monster, who I suspect has hyperesthesia. I use the powder capsules, which can be given as a pill or taken apart and mixed in food. It works great, I have it on autoship so I never run out.

Fur Baby Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does CBD help in cats? Would it help with anemia, stress from sickness, or energy?

The vet I went to mentioned no alternatives except prescription medicine. I had no idea they made cbd for cats.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It helps with anxiety/stress, appetite, pain, a number of different things actually. It definitely helps with my dog's seizures and when Monster's having an episode it calms him down very quickly.

Fur Baby Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that sounds amazing! I need something that will help with loss of appetite, stress, etc

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It helps with a lot of problems. You dont have to use ones just made for pets. Just make sure the extraction is c02, organic and third party tested. The clearer it is, the better it is. The one I'm getting is in coconut oil which is also good for cats

Lynx Rufus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been using one called CBD Pet on my two cats, ages 15 and 18, for about two months now. It is Co2 Extracted and third party tested. My vet recommended I give it a shot. Both have arthritis, and the younger of the two has IBD and pancreatitis and has had a very rough year. I give them each a little more than half the recommended dosage (I started them with just a few drops a day and worked up to this) which seems to be all they need as they are both under 8 lbs. I've read that it can take 3 to 4 weeks using the stuff before it shows any effects, but honestly I saw improvement in both my little girls almost immediately. Their appetites are stronger, and they seem more comfortable and content in general. We still have rough days of course, and it's no miracle supplement, but I do really believe in the stuff from what I have seen. I just drop it on their paws and they get to licking it right off. The younger one has actually grown to like the taste and attacks the dropper when I go to put it on her now. I take my cats into the vet very regularly, but whenever possible I try to use more holistic approaches over vet prescribed drugs. I always discuss these approaches with my vet first, but I have seen a ton of improvement in my younger girl who I really believed I was going to lose back at the start of 2018. She still gets her Cerenia occasionally for her pancreas flare ups, but with a better diet and some natural approaches she has needed it less and less frequently these past few months.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I use it with my own cat. She has a variety of issues (including anxiety treated with Prozac), but most recently diagnosed with suspected lymphoma. We opted not to do that biopsy but treated based on ultrasound results. She continued to get worse, even with chemo, and appetite stimulants / anti-nausea meds just were not doing it. She wasn't eating. So I decided to try CBD oil. I use it myself for nerve pain and decided I had nothing to lose. I got a pet formula (although a flavorless human formula works just as well). Within 24 hours I noticed a profound positive difference. And if I skip a dose, I also notice a profound negative difference.

If you're on Facebook, it may help to join the CBD Oil for Pets group. There's a lot of info there to help you understand what to look for in CBD for pets, what to avoid, help with dosing (since there isn't really anything solid out there), etc.

The one piece of advice I have is in regards to administration. If your cat will allow you to put liquid meds in her mouth, I highly suggest getting needleless syringes so you can dose accurately, and just squirting it into the mouth. Ideally, if you can get it in the cheek, that is best, as it will be absorbed through the mucus membranes. When it's digested they do not get as much of the CBD as they do through mucus membranes. However, in my case. she hates having anything put into her mouth, so I just have to squirt it in there and hope some of it goes through the mucus membranes, while some will be digested.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and also be sure to mention to your vet you are using it. Hopefully your vet will either be aware of CBD and how it helps, or they will be willing to look into it. But regardless you should mention it to them.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Beezbee, it's what I got at a local shop. Also have one from CBDistillery after that one runs out. I've heard of Innovet, I think that was considered a good one. Different issues though may do better with different formulas. There are soooo many out there, but that's why I suggested the FB group. They tell you a lot of what to look for when deciding on a brand. Not all brands are reputable.

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I signed up for that group and 99% of the people on there are using the same product
I was hoping for more input. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep doing research. It's so frustrating. That's all i have been doing

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Really? I see people using many products. Innovet is actually one I don't see mentioned much, so wondering if it's a different group with the same name. Charlotte's Web gets mentioned quite a bit from what I have seen. Nuleaf also.

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah all I see is nuleaf. I might try koi. They have a full spectrum oil now and I have heard they are a good company