CBD for arthritis

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy is 18 and has arthritis in her back leggs.
She is on Solensia, and it has helped, but I still think she has pain.
She's kind of mellow, and sleeps alot, so I'm worried the CBD might make her more inactive.
She's eating fine.
Any ideas or suggestions????

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been using CBD for my boys arthritis for years (he has a bad leg from a break in his younger years). I will say it does seem to help him, it isn't a fix all and it doesn't make him 100% better, but it does give him slightly better mobility when he is on it. You do have to be careful though with the drug interactions. My boy is on it because he doesn't handle pain medications well. He also gets very stressed out going to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I decided against CBD because of the med interactions that have to be taken into consideration. So, I chose to try Buprenorphine for Feeby. The nice thing about Bupe is that it is such a tiny amount that has to be taken every 12 hours, that she doesn't even have the chance to fight me as she has always done with any previous oral syringed medications. Feeby is going on 19+ yo.

She was on Solensia for 6 months, and I believed it helped, but seemed to have started to lose efficacy. She also has CKD, and there are no studies/trials that were done on cats with Stages higher than 1 & 2.

You could also look into Adequan - similar to Solensia but works differently. There are members on this site that use both. Some folks have success with Gabapentin too.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried it with my older kitty and it just made her sick (vomiting). I probably wouldn't use it again.