Cave Crickets!!!

starrymoongrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep coming across what I find to be one of nature's ugliest and scariest looking creations. And even though I know they're harmless these stupid cave crickets scare a small scream out of me every time and I can't stand going near them!
Luckily Hector comes to my rescue as long as he sees before they hide!
He is such a wonderful hunter he will keep at it until the things dead and I'm able to get up the guts to put on gloves and pick it up with a papertowel to throw it away. But even though Hector is wonderful I would really like to find a more permanent solution to getting rid of them. Also I'm wondering if they could be bad for the cats. No one has eaten one that I've seen but I'm sure there have been more than I've seen. And we don't even have a basement!! We live in a duplex and I think they're either coming up through our large shower drain or from behind the washer and dryer, this being more likely. Anyone have anything to help me?? I really don't want the cats getting sick and I'm tired of being terrified to go through the laundry hall to get to the bathroom!!!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get lots of regular crickets the kitties like to chase around the house!
What does a cave cricket look like?

I think there are some things you can use but can't recall what they are...I know sprinkling cinnamon around the baseboards kept the ants away this summer, don't know if it has the same affect on crickets though.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they seem to be attracted to moisture, maybe you should buy a small dehumidifier and place it in the area they seem to be appearing in?
I know you can get small ones at Home Depot for not a tremendous amount of money. Maybe try calling an exterminator and seeing if they have any suggestions?

zazusdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cave crickets are of no harm to your kitty. They might ever add some portein to there diet.

Cave crickets love cool, dark and still places. If you have a crawl space under your duplex then that is where you will find them. You can get the bug guy to come out and put something down (under the house) to get rid of them. One to two treatment will do it. then you won't need to retreat for at least a year. So don't let the bug guy talk you in to a contract........you don't need it, Trust me.....I was the bug guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starrymoongrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where would I locate the crawl space? I hadn't looked before but I don't remember seeing anything that would lead below the house. And thanks for the advice everyone!!

zazusdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
there should be a small cover or door on the bottom of the house. In the foundation. should be on thr sides or back of the house. It's going to be metal or wood.
Originally Posted by StarryMoonGrl

Where would I locate the crawl space? I hadn't looked before but I don't remember seeing anything that would lead below the house. And thanks for the advice everyone!!