Caught Feral Kitty in My Bathroom - ANY advice appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope she's settling in. We've had some different behaviors the last couple days which make me just wonder.

She has been closing her eyes in, what looks a LOT like, contentment, with me a lot, even when the other kitties were in the room (which surprised me). So in that way, she is really letting her guard down.

On the other hand though, she has started to...make escape attempts?? or running in fear attempts?? I don't know if its that. But, when cleaning out her litter box yesterday (which I have done since the beginning), she ran out of her carrier and to the other side of the cage and then back into her carrier. She did the same thing when my husband walked in this morning. He called me over and she stayed outside of her carrier looking panicked/scared for maybe 30 seconds while I sang and talked with her, then she ran back in.

She has also been meowing more at nights and letting me and the kitty's watch her use the litter and eat. I was up a LOT last night reading to her.

I feel bad that she is in such a small area. Yes, that's the update. New kitty behaviors for sure.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wondering if she's wanting to explore more. She may also be lonely especially knowing her humans are "out there" as well as other cats. You might try getting her a little stuffed animal "pal". Also, do you have a night light on for her?

Could you move her to a bigger space like a spare bedroom where she could have more space, but still be contained?

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't have a spare bedroom, but after reading your message, I decided it was time to get rid of the cage.

I left the bottom flooring and everything else exactly how it was, but the cage is gone!!! I sat in here with her with her new freedom for about an hour. Then, left the room, came back and she was in the shower curtains. Left the room, came back again and she is sitting here with me in the OPEN!!! She is not in her carrier! I think I caught her in the middle of moving (even though I tapped on the door before coming in). Instead of going for cover, she just decided to stay still. She doesn't even look to scared. This is neat. I hope it was the right move. I'm gald she has more space. Thank you.

Oh and I do leave a nightlight on for her.

ellsworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my ferals just started to warm up to me they started doing what I call "drive bys" where they would come out of hiding and streak past me. Maybe that's what your kitty is doing.

I hand fed my ferals and made them subject to being pet while eating. Can you get your girl good and hungry and try that? Even my most scared cat didn't mind being touched while she ate.

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Ellsworth, I hope it is a sign of her warming up to us.

Somehow, I can't imagine her being hungry enough to eat off my hand. She didn't eat for the first few days we had her here and I think I've just been so happy she is eating.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
How long do you wait until you give her the opportunity to eat off your hand? Do you give her the opportunity 2x a day or the same time every day. I am interested, I guess it is just REALLY hard for me to imagine, or I would be scared I would starve her or she would hurt herself from not eating. Do these kitty's mainly not eat in the beginning or does it continue with stress?

ellsworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started them from day 1 when they were still in the cage. They hissed, sniffed and ate. I did not feed them between hand feedings so they were good and hungry.

Afterwards, when they were out in the house, I got a wide soup bowl, put canned food in it and sat on the floor and hand fed whoever came up. As I hand fed one, the bolder or hungrier ones ate out of the bowl. I pet each one and lifted each one around the bowl as they ate. If one was too scared to eat, it ate at the next feeding. No one starved.