Caught Feral Kitty in My Bathroom - ANY advice appreciated

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Cat Site Forums,

We have a happy cat household. Three kitties, all brothers, brought up together in our home since 5 weeks of age. They get along with each other, are all very well mannered, happy and healthy kitties and adore us. (They are indoor kitties, by the way).

A few hours ago our neighbors captured a local feral/outdoor kitty. They think he/she was abandoned by their owners a few months ago. They watched as this poor kitty got skinnier and skinnier, then as a community, we've all been feeding him/her. They thought a different neighbor would take him/her in. But, the don't want to.

Somehow, I ended up with this poor kitty in my bathroom.

I haven't touched him/her, except for a little bit (I kind of pet him/her through the cage). Then I washed my hands and changed my clothes. I don't want to get my kitties sick.

I know I need to take him/her to the vet, get spayed/neutered if necessary, vaccines, blood test. I'm assuming I should take him/her to the humane society to see if he/she has a microchip.

I looked up information on how to domesticate a feral. But, I honestly have no idea if this cat is even feral, or if it is just shy and abandoned.

ANY suggestions are appreciated. ANY and ALL!!!

thanks so much. I don't really want to keep the kitty, (we have 3) but who knows what will happen. If needed, I could always domesticate it and then try to find a home. What do you think?

HELP appreciated.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring enough about this poor kitty to take him in, even if only temporarily.

You're on the right track with everything you're doing - keeping this cat separate from yours, washing your hands after you've touched him, and most especially, for bringing him in to the vet. A thorough exam and a scan for a microchip are essential.

Keep at least part or most of the cage covered with a sheet or large towel so the cat feels safe. Make sure though, that there is enough ventilation. Try to keep his area as quiet as possible, in case he is a feral cat.

Most truly feral cats will stay very still in a trap or carrier, often pressing themselves into a corner of the trap out of fear. The problem is that if this cat was abandoned and has been outside for awhile, he may also be afraid and act in a similar manner. It seems from what you've described that he could very well be a cat who once had a home. Observing him over the next 24 hours will help you determine if that's the case.

If the cat is definitely feral, your best bet would be to get him neutered and return him to where he was caught as long as you or a neighbor can commit to caring for him. He'll need a shelter and daily feeding. If he's sick, he'll need medical attention. Anyone who becomes the caretaker for this kitty must understand that if they move, this cat goes with them, or they find a new caretaker. This is a real commitment and not to be taken lightly - it's for the lifetime of the cat, just as it would be if you adopted him and kept him indoors.

If it turns out he was someone's cat and is friendly, he'll of course need a new home. Unfortunately, that's not easy to come by for adult cats. If you could adopt him yourself, that would be wonderful, but I understand you have your three already. Try to find a no-kill shelter but be prepared to be told they can't accept any more cats. Most good no-kills are almost always at capacity. You can try to adopt him out yourself, but you'll need to be extremely careful and must learn how to screen potential adopters.

Thank you again for your kindness - please let us know how it's going.

crazy4catz2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good for you for taking in the kitty. I'm glad that the cat is now safe and sound. You sound like you are taking every precaution necessary to protect your babies.

At the shelter I volunteer at, we don't euthanize any of our kitties unless a veterinarian says it's the best choice of action in a deathly ill kitty. That means we take in all kinds of cats, including ferals.

We have rehabilitated MANY feral cats in the past and all are either adopted or still with us, loving every minute of human attention. We have one kitty named Baron who was left at our door in a live trap.. Totally feral. I mean he would literally try to scalp you if you got too close, and sadly, one of our volunteers had that happen. (She's ok now.
) Anyways, after 4 years or so, he is now the "boss" of the shelter and gets special privileges. You can pet him, love on him and pick him up. Sometimes he can still be a bit ornery, but we take it with a grain of salt because we know how big of a ham-bone he really is.

If you are unsure if your rescue is feral or not, here is a snippet from the ASPCA website -

What is the difference between a stray cat and a feral cat?

A stray cat is a pet cat who is lost or abandoned. Feral cats are the offspring of lost or abandoned pet cats or other feral cats who are not spayed or neutered. Stray cats are accustomed to contact with people and are tame, but feral cats are not accustomed to contact with people and are typically too fearful and wild to be handled. Wheras stray cats may be reunited with their families or adopted into new homes, feral cats do not easily adapt or may never adapt to living as pets in close contact with people. However, there are many things you can do to help improve the health and quality of life of feral cats.

------------

It doesn't sound like your kitty is that bad.. Some cats that are surrendered to the shelter hiss, spit, yowl and swipe at us.. and then 2-3 weeks later, it all of a sudden changes into a sweet little old kitty! So before making any assumptions, wait a few weeks and let him/her get settled in, should you be able to hold onto it for that long.

I concur about wrapping the cage with a sheet, though.. I do this with all my fosters, feral or non. It gives them a sense of security, which is important when it comes to stray kitties. You sound like you are doing everything that you should be doing.. so don't worry too much.

If you indeed have a semi-feral cat.. here is a link on socializing it. It says it works on kittens and even adults.

If you believe the kitty is adoptable but you are unable to keep the kitty.. here is a helpful link on how to find the cat a home. There are about 3 pages Trying to find it's previous owner.., Publicizing and Promoting the cat for adoption.., Adopting the cat out and Screening potential adopters.

Sorry for the long post, I just hope it's helpful! Please let us know how kitty does!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have some great advice already... but are you using your only/main bathroom? If so, do you have another option? I ask because most kitties do not like the sound of running water.
That's not going to make it easy to get a cat to relax.

If you're stuck with that, maybe ask for some alternatives - like a large kennel in the bedroom for a bit. I have some kittens that I'm doing that with and I still put them up at night in it since they're sharing my gecko room (don't trust them when I'm not here or awake).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most vets have scans for microchips, so an extra trip to the HS probably isn't necessary.

THANK YOU FOR RESCUING THIS KITTY!

If the kitty was abandoned by a neighbor a few months ago, then kitty is a stray kitty, that has reverted to feral ways for self-preservation. This is usually easy to overcome with time, patience and love.

What you are doing is just right!
The only thing I'd add is that until you can get the kitty to the vet, he/she needs to have enough space to have a litter box, food and water and a place to sit/sleep, so I don't know how large the cage is, but you may have to release kitty into the bathroom if the cage isn't big enough. If the bathroom is big enough to leave the cage in there, so much the better, because it can be the "safe" space for kitty to hide (which is what kitty wants to do).

To socialize - it's really just an issue of earning trust. And the thread Killerapple started in the Ferals forum is actually quite a good one, so here's a link directly to her thread: (Kitty is released into a room on Page 2 of the thread
) http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206271

If you have ANY other questions, PLEASE feel free to ask away!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!

I am in tears reading this. There is a lot of hope in this message!! I've read a lot of the reponses out loud to my husband as well. (I'm sorry it took so long to check for responses!!)

I have experienced a lot of anxiety not knowing if this was the right thing to do.

I bought a bigger cage yesterday at Petsmart, so the litter and food and water could be in there. While transferring the kitty into the cage, she decided to make a run for it jumping up to the bathroom window and the door. It was so horrible. I didn't want it to hurt itself, so I came in. She is a real sweetie. She calms down when I talk to her, and let me move her out of the curtains (where she was hiding). When I tried to pick her up with a towel to get her in the cage, she freaked out (understandably) and jumped in between the window pane and the screen (she's a little thing).

We got her back in the cage, and she is much weaker and more docile than one of my domestic kitties acts when we trim his nails. The whole experience was traumatic for all of us. I think she was as relieved as I was when she was in the cage. It is covered with blankets, except for one side. This was last night around 5pm.

She is not eating. I put some tuna and tuna juice in there this morning. Tomorrow morning we will do the vet visit. I haven't decided if tonight we will try to wrap her up and force feed her some liquids at least, or wait until after the vet visit. We got her Friday night (after she just ate), it is now Sunday afternoon.

I wish we could move the cage to a different room, but it is just not a possibility. We live in a one bedroom apartment. It will be hard to keep the other kitties out of the bedroom, but if it is necessary, we will have to.

Hubby wants to keep the kitty after its domesticated. I am not sure. I know it is a forever commitment. That is why it is so hard for me to commit. We have two other neighbors who love this kitty and who I trust to be good owners. If we help domesticate it, they may be interested.

I have read for the first 2-3 days you should just go in and out to change water, litter and food. And then after that you should begin the socialization process. Constantly being in there singing, reading out loud, but softly. Leaving a radio in there or movie playing. We can definitely wait a few weeks. I hope, so much, that this poor kitty will be ok and we can help create a better life for it.

**We've only had hissing once. I can't wait to read all the resources. I appreciate you reading the story and taking the time to leave detailed responses!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is the same way. We'd have a petting zoo if he had his way.

Keep the line of communication open with the neighbors. If anyone wants her make sure they know she's going to be special.

Some kitties can go a little while without food, some can't. It depends on their health and weight to begin with.
Though everyone calls it "kitty crack" you could try some fancy feast - warm it up slightly in the microwave and stir it up.

She sounds very skittish but not feral. You'd be coming on here to tell us you were scratched and bitten if she were truly wild.

That said, since you don't know how she will respond to things so she needs to get in to see a vet and get her rabies vac soon.

Have a lot of patience and you'll do well.

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha, yes, def. would be a petting zoo here too.

We may keep her, depending on her personality. But, you are right, it is vital to keep talking with the neighbors about her, letting them know she may be available by next month.

Awww, I Love this community!!! I didn't know there was a section just for strays/ferals. When one of my kitties was misdiagnosed with FIP, thecatsite was here for me too. You guys are really just amazing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You had already got all the adequate responses. And you are doing great by your own, practically as from the manual.

someone mentioned about the drawback of running water in bathrooms. It may be true, but it is very common rescuers do have kitties in the bathroom. It is perhaps not very best to have a feral kitty in your own bathroom,, but your protegÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] isnt no feral. She is an abandoned stray.
Bathroom both because most rescuers dont have much place, and also because it is the most easy place to clean off.

Thus, bathroom + this big cage for convenience is an excellent solution.

Ah, one thing more. When all the necessary vet check up is done, and the quarantene as such isnt not longer necessary, and she is still shy / need fostering. If your own three resident boys are friendly, you will get big help from them in fostering her. Let it come in its own time, about two weeks from now if she seems healthy.

Good luck!

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't help but update. I'm so excited.

We got a bigger kitty cage today which fit the cat carrier in it. I put a blanket and sprayed some feliway inside and hoped she would crawl in (instead of hovering in her litter - poor baby).

She did crawl in. Within 10 minutes.

Not only is this more sanitary, but will make it much easier to take her to the vet tomorrow. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/clap.gif

crazy4catz2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very glad to hear all is going well with kitty. I'm sure she's very happy that she's off the streets.

At the shelter, we always leave the radios on. The volume is soft but quite audible. It helps them relax, believing that there is always someone around. Kitty will appreciate that, I'm sure. Whenever she looks you in the eyes, blink at her. It sounds stupid, but the pamphlet that I read said that with scared kitties, blinking instead of staring back shows that you're not trying to dominate it, which could further scare her.

Keep up with the updates.

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm back with another update!! Things ARE going well with Kitty.

I took her to the vet on Monday and she was pretty good. Yes, she ran and tried to hide and then hissed at the veterinary assistant and he had to hold the cuff of her neck and cover her with a towel. But, she let ME get her with a towel instead of him. And when she was on the table, she let him pet her without completely freaking out.

The vet did a blood test, no diseases, she is already spayed, which is WONDERFUL, she couldn't do the age because she was afraid kitty would bite her (which is understandable).

I was so afraid the stress from the vet visit would set her back, but THAT night she started eating!!!!! I was so excited, I knocked on the neighbors door to tell them, called my Grandma, Mom, anyone who I'd talked to about the feral kitty.

She drank ALL her water the next night and last night she ate some chicken, my husband gave her, 3/4 of the dry food and about a teaspoon of fancy feast. YAY.

**Thank you for the tip about blinking!! I will DEF. do that!

Ok, I have a few questions.

1) I am leaving the radio on during the day, but am keeping it off at night, should it be 24/7?

2) The vet told me even though the blood test cleared her of any diseases, she could have contracted one in the couple days before we got her and that it wouldn't show up on the test until 6 weeks from now. Do you think I should wait that long to introduce my other kitties to her? Or just watch her for a couple weeks and if there are no signs introduce them?

3) There is no harm in moving too slowly right? I read somewhere that once kitty is eating consistently you start feeding them on a schedule. Should I wait a few more days of eating before doing this or is now a perfect time?

4) Right now she's in a huge large dog cage with the kitty carrier, litter and food and water. It is convenient because I can have the kitties in here with her with no danger, I think she feels safer and she's not jumping around trying to escape. When do I get rid of the cage?

***Thanks so much everyone!!!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not a kitty expert, but here are my thoughts

I personally would take the vet's advice - if something could show up in 6 weeks, I wouldn't risk having the new cat interact with the old cats yet until a proper quarantine period has been undergone. Better safe than sorry, imo. I'm not sure if it's a good idea having the other kitties able to interact with her through the dog crate bars if she may have something spreadable. Others will chime in. I may be a worry wart.

Does the kitty look to be a young cat or an adult? I think a routine now is important, to start establishing the trust - unless you are not sure the kitty is eating at all...

Are you absolutely positive the kitty was dumped by someone and not a lost pet? Just wondering since the cat was fixed already especially and age is unknown. If the kitty was dumped, that is very sad and thank you for giving the kitty a home.
However if you're not sure, it's really in best interest of kitty to see if you can find the owner. If you put up Found Kitty ads, do not show the kitty photo - you want the owner to be able to identity the kitty with a distinguishing characteristic, so a random person just doesn't claim the kitty as theirs. I hope this isn't coming across wrong, but I Just want to be sure no one is looking for their pet.

Good luck with this kitty! And thank you for giving this little one such a good home!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Killerapple's advice is spot on.

Since she was either TNR'd without having the ear tag (top of ear snipped off or a notch in ear) or someone's pet, I agree - good idea to at least up notices around the neighborhood and at vets in a radius of about 5 - 10 miles or so.

Since she's eating, I think starting to do everything on a schedule is a great idea - the routine really helps.

I'd leave the radio on 24/7, very low. I'd also leave a night light on in the bathroom for her.

It helps to knock on the door lightly and tell her you're coming in.

I would also wait at least a few weeks before trying to have her directly interact with any of your kitties. That said, I don't think having them in the bathroom for pets or brushes is a bad idea. Kitties can get used to each other's scent - and she can watch in her protected place. Kitties learn a LOT from watching us interact with our already socialized cats.

...in the meantime, I'd also spend as much time in there as you can, reading out loud, folding laundry - whatever you can find to do - just letting her watch and get used to you (and DH if he wants to participate.
).

And actually, best not to look her in the eyes at all. This is a sign of aggression. Best to look at the top of her head or her forehead or over her head - if you look her direction at all. And when you reach toward her for any reason, do it palm down.

Side sideways to her, on the floor if you can. Always go for the "least" threatening - from her perspective.
And turning your head with your eyes already closed and "looking" at her with your eyes closed is always good. You can "slow blink" at her later.

...as to when to get rid of the cage, you're just going to have to trust your instincts on this. See how she reacts when you open it to clean litter or feed her - and keep an eye on her body posture and such and how she reacts when you come in.

OH - I'd also get a t-shirt good and sweaty, and put it under her food dish. This will help her associate your (or DH) scent with wonderful things she loves. You can get another one sweaty, and put treats down on it before you leave the bathroom when you've spent some time in there reading out loud or whatever.

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Killerapple, whether you are a kitty expert or not, I think you had expert advice.
THANK YOU!!

**Kitty did have her ear notch, so she was TNR'd, but I still would like to list her as a found pet. If I lost one of my kitty's, even if it was years later, I would want him back. I wasn't sure how to go about it. I will put up notices at local vets and in the area. No picture - ok. If the owner were to come would we expect a certain reaction from the kitty?

The kitty is an adult. We've seen her around for probably at least a year. And she was an adult when we first starting seeing her.

I will start with the routine, she has continued eating. YAY!!
She's eating the dry food, drinking her water, the fancy feast and she has finally started to go to the bathroom again.

THANK YOU BOTH for the excellent advice!!

LDG I have been here as much as possible, sitting in the bathtub with a blanket or next to the cage. I have been looking at her in the eyes all too much though. I was blinking when I saw that advice, but it sounds like I'll just avoid eye contact or do the eyes closed thing. I've been reading out loud to her and she even heard you post, lol. I have my laptop with me.

Thank you again and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! (if you are in the US)

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are starting "Tough Love" from the article from urbancatleague that crazy4catz2 gave me.

Pretty much now that she is eating regularly, only putting out the food when we are in here with her.

I can already tell its going to drive me bananas. I already want to cheat, but I won't. I think it may take her another day to eat anything, but it shouldn't hurt her. She has eaten a lot in the past few days and we are leaving water in there.

Just updating. We are calling her Bella until we figure out what the next step is.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know the article, but I'd still put a sweaty t-shirt under her food dish, even though you're in there with her.

You're doing great, and please keep us posted!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kudos to you and your DH for taking in this little girl! I think that if you take it slow and easy, you'll have yourself a wonderful little kitty!

I'm sure you're already doing this, but when you go into the bathroom to visit with her, talk to her calmly and in a quiet voice (not too loud, not a whisper, but a nice, calm volume). Read to her, sing to her, talk to her, tell her about your day, and etc. That way, she'll become comfortable and familiar with your voice. If you give her treats, she'll associate good things with you.

You can also take one of your shirts that's dirty (think old around the house shirt) and put it in her sleeping area. That way she'll also associate your smell with her warm bed, another wonderful thing.

luv2laugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!! Things are going good with our pretty kitty.

I worked out this morning especially to get a shirt good and sweaty to put in there. I've had one that I slept in in there since the beginning.

She hasn't eaten while I'm in here, but we decided to leave the door open when we're at work or in the other room so, she still has to come out when she is somewhat vulnerable. Poor baby. I do feel bad. When she went potty this morning, two of my kitties were just watching her at the doorway. I was in bed and couldn't see her, but my kitties don't give her much attention, the fact that two of them were watching means she was doing something. They have no contact with her,but they can see each other. So, her doing something in front of them is pretty big too!!!

The best NEW thing which is happening is pretty small. She is closing her eyes when I talk to her.At first, even though I was here for hours, she was always alert and watching me - no blinks. Now, even when I first start reading to her, I see her eyes start to close and slow blink. She looks happy and relaxed!!!
It makes me so happy.

I have been talking, singing and reading to her,though my husband hasn't been as much. I almost slept in the bathtub last night, but couldn't do it. She's getting a lot of time with me. ESPECIALLY, this weekend.
Thanks so much everyone for your support. I'll keep you updated.

Hopefully,slow and steady will win the race.