CatTV device recommendations?

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm trying to figure out a device for my cat to watch Cat TV on.

I don't watch TV so I don't have one. I tried using an old laptop, but of course, those keys get stepped on as my cat tries to interact with the screen.

I started with looking at small TVs and computer monitors online, but I want to make sure I get something she's not going to knock over. I'm not sure what to look for to best ensure that. I also considered a cheap tablet, but having something that stands upright and is pretty firmly stationary seems like a better idea.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure whatever you get is kid proof. My cats know not to touch my phone or tablet because they can easily scratch it or break it.

A kid proof cover might work though. Just search for kid proof tablet on amazon, they have some for under $60 CAD too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input, everyone!

C CyberTiger hopefully you've come up with a good solution! Love to hear it if you have :)
I've been looking at the kid tablets on Amazon, but still deciding. I gotta wait for my next paycheck anyway.

It looks like if I go Android like the Fire kid tablets, I should be able to use a feature to disable touch? Sounds like it's an "only the adult account can use it" feature, so just gotta remember that.

Also weighing screen sizes. I figure I should try to go with the biggest one I can get.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're going with a tablet, maybe you could even use command strips to attach to a wall at cat eye level? You'll definitely need to find a way to disable the touch, but I'm not too sure what's possible on that front. We usually use our non-touch screen TV so that isn't an issue. We have "live" cat TV too - we have bird feeders!

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smudge always tries to get the birds on the tablet and ends up pausing the video 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, no TV or good windows here, so that's why I made this thread.

I'm currently still using the old laptop. I got a big enough clipboard to cover the chicklet keys and velcro to hold it down. It's doing a lot better.

My cat does what I thought she would though: she goes full power at it. She pounces and slams. Claws away at it. I like that it tries to have some sense of standing up. The viewing angle is limited, but it's working.

While I was hoping to go with a more false window sort of thing with keeping it vertical, I think what I do like with the laptop is that she gets interaction with slamming it and moving it around, something I didn't think about. I might stick with it.

I think one annoying part is the power cord. I need to figure out how to keep her from yanking it out. I think the cord protector I put on it doesn't help, adding weight for the cord to pull itself: Amazon.com She's a chewer though, so the protection is necessary. I figure I need a different protector or something that holds the power-drill-looking cord end in the laptop.