CatSure vs. KMR Kitten Milk Replacer Powder?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once upon a time before we realized we had other options, KMR Kitten Milk Replacer Powder seemed like a logical choice to supplement whatever Buddy was able to eat on his own when he was going through yet another rough patch. But now that we've been using CatSure and he's been doing pretty well on that, we were just wondering if there would be any benefit to keeping the KMR Kitten Milk Replacer Powder or similar products in his rotation when he needs a little extra nutritional help.

CatSure

Ingredients: Dried milk protein concentrate, corn syrup solids, dried whey protein concentrate, dried cream powder (sweet cream solids nonfat dry milk, sodium caseinate), soybean oil, dried skimmed milk, monocalcium phosphate, guar gum, potassium chloride, l-arginine, casein, dextrose, lecithin, l-carnitine, choline chloride, dl-methionine, magnesium sulfate, taurine, natural and artificial vanilla flavor, vitamin E supplement, calcium carbonate, iron proteinate, fructooligosaccharides (FOS), vitamin D supplement, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A supplement, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, dried Bifidobacterum bifidum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Pediococcus acidilactici fermentation product.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein, min ............. 38.0%
Crude Fat, min .................... 18.5%
Crude Fiber, max .................. 2.9%
Moisture, max ....................... 8.0%
Taurine, min .......................... 0.2%
130,000 Colony Forming Units (CFU) per gram (Lactobacillus casei*, Lactobacillus fermentum*, Lactobacillus acidophilus*, Lactobacillus plantarum*, Enterococcus faecium*, Bifidobacterium bifidum*, Pediococcus acidilactici*)
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient in the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles.

The calorie content (ME) is 866 kcal/kg or 13.0 kcal/tbs when powder is reconstituted at a ratio of 1:1.

KMR Kitten Milk Replacer Powder

Ingredients: Casein, vegetable oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried skimmed milk, dried cream, dried whey protein concentrate, dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, choline chloride, L-arginine, potassium chloride, magnesium sulfate, dextrose, maltodextrins, iron proteinate, taurine, monopotassium phosphate, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, dried Pediococcus adicilactici fermentation product, copper proteinate, vitamin D3 supplement, niacin supplement, fructooligosaccaride (FOS), sodium silico aluminate, calcium, pantothenate, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, tricalcium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate, calcium iodate, manganese sulfate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein, min ………………………………....……... 42.0%
Crude Fat, min………………………....………………..…. 25.0%
Crude Fiber, max………………………...………………...... 0.0%
Moisture, max…………………………………………...…… 5.0%
130,000 Colony Forming Units (CFU) per gram of powder (Lactobacillus casei*, Lactobacillus fermentum*, Lactobacillus acidophilus*, Lactobacillus plantarum*, Enterococcus faecium*, Bifidobacterium bifidum*, Pediococcus acidilactici*)
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient in the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles

The calorie content (ME) is 740 kcal/kg or 11.1 kcal/Tbs when reconstituted 1:2.

FWIW, our order of Oxbow Carnivore Care arrived yesterday, so we'll be including that in our rotation as well. But since it contains poultry meal, and Buddy has problems with some forms of poultry, I'm just trying to get all of our ducks lined up, so to speak. :wink:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it were me, I think I'd hang on to it :) the higher protein and fat content in the KMR could possibly be useful for him down the road.

By the way, I hope your 2020 is the best it can be!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I think I'd hang on to it :) the higher protein and fat content in the KMR could possibly be useful for him down the road.

By the way, I hope your 2020 is the best it can be!!
Thanks bunches!

I had considered that about the higher protein and fat content in the kitten formula, but didn't know at what point it's not such a good thing anymore. I always have a fear of accidentally creating a new problem while trying to fix a current one. ;)

Sometimes Buddy just needs a little extra help for a couple of days, and sometimes it's off and on for weeks at a time until we finally stumble across something he'll eat on his own. Unfortunately, Dad's recent setback and holiday guests threw things into a bit of a tizzy, so it's going to be a few more days before life here at Casa Cheeser starts to settle down again. In the meantime, I'm re-reviewing my spreadsheet for the umpteenth zillionth time and putting a Chewy order together. :biggrin:

Wish you and yours all the best for the new year! :heartshape:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you!!

but didn't know at what point it's not such a good thing anymore.
You might double check with your vet (or Buddy himself-he's one unique cat!!), but I had in my mind that aging/elderly cats will sometimes need the extra boost/help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!

You might double check with your vet (or Buddy himself-he's one unique cat!!), but I had in my mind that aging/elderly cats will sometimes need the extra boost/help.
I guess I'm just wired to worry, although Buddy certainly gives me plenty of reasons to! I think I have more gray hair than he does now! :lol: