Cats won't leave the carbon filter alone.

kayzee49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a carbon filter that slips into the top of our litter box and the kittens will not leave it alone. They kept pulling it out and eventually tore it to shreds getting black dust all over the bedroom carpet. We bought another one and they pulled it out so we're temporarily going without. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternate solution or a way to keep the filter in so they can't pull it out of the top?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine do the same thing!  I soaked it in Bitter Apple and that stopped the problem.  However, I don't know if Bitter Apple decreased the efficaciousness of the carbon filter.  Even if it did, I couldn't have them snacking on it so I figured it was a decent trade off.  Also, make sure there are no ends of the filter sticking out.  Do your best to conceal it as best as possible.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you put a piece of duct tape over the pull-out opening to keep them from pulling it back out? You could also try double sided sticky tape over the whole of the vent for a week or two, just to discourage them from attempting to pull it out. Once they get the message, resume normal use. 

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine did the same to the filter, so I eventually replaced it with a piece of old carpet cut to fit. Even though they scratch carpet, they leave this alone. Personally, I doubt the filter does much anyway and I just wanted to cover the hole to stop more dust coming out. :dk:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The filter really doesn't do anything so don't bother using it. Scooping the litter box at least once daily and feeding the cats a high quality food will help keep odors down. You can sprinkle baking soda into the litter to absorb more odors.