Cats With Minds Of Their Own Lol

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So this is just a little fun story. My cat harley had a vet appomint today. He been on meds and feeling a lot better but because he was getting two meds twice a day now that he feeling good he dosen't trust me so when i tried grabbing him he ran. So i call the vet asked if i could bring in Ally who was whezzy or naselly you could say. I made the mistake of saying i could catch her no problem. As you can guess that was not something i should have braged about because once i switched to trying to catch her made sure to keep out of reach. Well i wasn't going to show up with out a cat. Poor Talia didn't see me coming nor did she expect to get put into that crate. She was a good girl at the vets and i got drugs to calm down harley and ally so now its a waiting game to get those two to calm down around me so i can dope them and gettem to the vet.

My action plan? 1. With hold wet food for a while (they still get hard) 2. Allow them to think they beat me by not seeking them out. 3. Set up a tentive appointment 4. Then give them the druged wet food. Hopefully they will be so happy to have it again they won't even second guess it.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, while I'm sure vets are used to missed cat appointments, how frustrating! Sounds like a solid plan, although I would add
5. Pray to the kitty gods
6. Bow to kitty overlords

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what kind of drugs did they give you to calm Harley and Ally down? We just took Swanie to the vet for his checkup. It was pretty easy getting him into the carrier (despite his being 24 pounds of BIG cat), but once there he had enough at one point and pitched a royal fit. They couldn't get his blood work or finish clipping his nails, so we made an appointment in August when his rabies shot is due to get the blood test. Vet gave us gabapentin to give him 2 hours before the appointment, but (1) I have a really difficult time giving him pills in general and (2) they are large capsules and he needs two. Only option I can see is to get him into the office, let the vet tech give him the pills, and sit there with him for two hours.

Good luck with Harley and Ally!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They give me the same meds to give mine. I was told to pull the pill apart and mix with some wet food an hour before our appointment. My suggestion would be to try the food route first give him the smallest amount first with the med in it then give him extra food after he eats the medicated portion. The second method i use is to syringe it but that can be tricky.

Im not to worried about giving it to Harley or Ally. Ally pretty greedy over food and Harley loves food. Now my Ace is a different matter he to nice and rarly fights for food chooseing to wait his turn and i have to feed in a group or they realize something is up and wont eat.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shadow loves food. She misses the free feeding days. Recently I've had to dose her twice a day for her itchy skin. I used to have a heck of a time catching her for the dosing, but I figured out something a lot easier.

She knows when it's time to eat, so she comes out to the mud room where her food bowl is. I sit down and scoop some food, then get her dosing syringe ready.

Now the good part. I go to her food bowl and drop the food in and at the same time, I sneak a hand under her and pick her up just before she makes contact with the food.

45 seconds later she's dosed and eating food. Granted I have to hold her like a baby and try to get the syringe in her mouth on the first go or she keeps turning her head.

Now I don't have to waste time in the morning stumbling around the house half asleep trying to catch her to give her medicine.

I don't know if you can mix the pill contents with a bit if water and shoot it in their mouths?

Do cats taste bitter things? I know the meds I'm giving shadow is terribly bitter. She puts up with it though....barely.:barfgreen: