Cats with Low Risk of Health Problems?

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My family has had heartwrenching experiences with our cats. Recently, our two six year old cats (brothers), who were rescued ferals, most likely part Ragdoll and FIV positive, both died suddenly months apart. Fright Nite had HCIM with no symptoms and went into cardiac arrest. Nite had kidney problems very suddenly and deteriorated over the course of a weekend. A decade ago, another beloved young Cornish Rex cat passed away due to a rare and aggressive liver disease, and we lost another young cat due to a bowel problem. We are so devastated and we can't continue to experience this level of anxiety and heartache. At the same we need to have cats in our lives again soon. If anyone has advice on how to adopt a cat with lower risk of health problems, I would really appreciate it. Thanks very much.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If anyone has advice on how to adopt a cat with lower risk of health problems, I would really appreciate it.
I'd appreciate it too but I think all we can do is take the cat to a board certified vet for an exam and appropriate vaccines as soon as we adopt them. I go to a feline only vet which I think helps but it's not a 100% guarantee there won't be future problems. Unfortunately just like people, any cat that is born healthy can take a turn and later have health issues. With the help of good nutrition, regular check ups, interactive exercise, spay/neuter, keeping a cat indoors and being proactive when it comes to noticing any problems, I think that's the best you can do for your cat.

I'm empathize with you and I'm very sorry about the loss of your cats. :hugs: I know how heartbreaking it is and every time one of our cats passes away I need to take time to grieve. I hope that when you are ready you will consider adopting another cat and giving them a forever home. You are obviously very compassionate so take your time and fingers crossed the next cat that shares a home with you will be healthy.:crossfingers:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adding that some health conditions are genetic or breed specific so there isn't anything you can do to prevent them. There isn't a way to look into the future and see what health issues a cat may develop.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ive always thought domestic short hair cats are healthier since their gene pool is all mixed up with less inbreeding along with passed down diseases etc. you get in "pure bred" designer type cats that share ancestors in past generations from what little i read about cats before adopting graycie. i would also check out the local humane society for adopting a cat i am pretty sure if i remember correctly they had tested graycie for a clean bill of health before even offering her up to get adopted

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I certainly understand where you are coming from. Yes, certain conditions are genetic to certain breeds of dogs and cats and that can be researched. It will not give you a guarantee that nothing will go wrong, but at least you are forewarned or can make an informed decision. Outcrossing will prevent some conditions from emerging, but again, no guarantee. I have a street rescue orange boy who has HCM and a kidney condition, both diagnosed by age 2. Other cats have ranged from long lived and healthy and short lived and unhealthy; any cat I have owned has been a stray or feral, so I certainly can't blame their breeding (although ferals can be from the same gene pool depending).

My three youngest cats all have pet insurance, including the one I mentioned above. You may have had this as well. It has at least allowed me to do as much treatment as possible, maybe even procedures or diagnostics that I would not have done, so that is one other way to look at this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't do anything to help with your search for cats with a low risk of health issues. I can only tell you that my first cat, adopted as a stray at about 6 months old, was healthy all of his 15 years, until it was assumed he contracted FIP (long time ago, so who really knows). My second cat, adopted as a stray also at about 6 months old, was healthy all of her 12 years until she was diagnosed with cancer. Feeby, my current cat (17+ yo), was 'found' around the age of 2 yo, also healthy until about 1 1/2 years ago with hyperthyroidism which has progressed into CKD.

I am sorry for the losses your family has suffered. But I think in the end, you take your chances and give a cat an opportunity for a good home, lots of loving, and great care. If you don't, that cat may be one of those who don't get to experience a wonderful home and offer love in return however short/long their life may be.