Cats who attack other cats

farplace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new here, 
and  I have a problem.  Well 2 problems to be honest.

I run an animal rescue centre,  and this year have taken in 2 cats from different places,   both of which have the same behavioural issues.

They beat up other cats to the extent that the victims need hospitalising.

Mortimer is a mature ginger male (not yet neutered)  who was a stray.  He kept going into a ladys' house through her cat flap and terrorising her resident cats.  One had her tail sliced so badly it needed antibiotics and a few days at the vets with abcesses.   Mortimer is very shy but not feral.  He is slowly learning to trust me,  and has a wonderful purr.

Mike is an 18 month old long haired black and white boy (not yet neutered)  who also was a stray.  He adopted a household and moved in,   but fights not only with the resident cats, but also neighbouring cats.  Several have needed expensive vet care as a result.   Mike is people friendly and loves dogs....   but def not cats.

Does anyone have any suggestions about changing their behaviour and making them more homeable?   They will both be castrated,  vaccinated and tested for FIV / FeLV before we put them up for adoption.

Jan

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I do not run an animal rescue center, but when I rescue a new cat I separate him/her from the rest of the animals for the first weeks. I have him/her checked by the vet, then I slowly familiarize him/her with the new surroundings. This is followed by slow introductions to the resident cats (if there are no health issues from the vet visit). Mortimer and Mike will calm down after being neutered but I suggest you isolate them until after the vet and to avoid further injuries due to cat fights.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah:

Have them neutered ASAP. You probably know it can take 6 - 8 weeks for the hormones to completely cycle out of their systems. But the neutering itself may resolve the behavior. Of course, all of Yayi's recommendations still stand (IMO) as important, if not essential. Cats are territorial above all else, so proper introductions to a new environment and new cats is rather critical for their success and happiness. :dk:

We had the most aggressive feral cat we've ever experienced in our 10+ years of rescuing turn up in spring 2010. He was so aggressive, he scattered all of the feral cats in our established colony (all sterilized). After we trapped him and removed him from the outdoors, it took them 3 days to come back and get back into the routine. That's how aggressive he was.

He now lives inside, as a pet, with our other 7 cats. He's a big ol' sweetie pie.

Last edited:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella & Thunder act like they are playing 1 minute and fighting the next. I don't know if they are hurting each other till one starts meowing very loud.

dejolane           
Bella       
 Thunder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farplace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should have mentioned,  both these cats are in separate isolation pens,  not with other cats.   They have a history of extreme violence towards other cats,  but I have not witnessed it.   They will be castrated asap - possibly next week depending on transport - and while they are there,  they will have a full health check to rule out any medical reasons for their behaviour.   We will also have them blood-tested for FIV/FeLV.

Jan

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to agree that neutering them will most likely cure their aggressive behavior. But it takes time afterwards for the hormones to leave their system. Could also try feliway diffusers since they are in single rooms, 1 in each room. I know they are a pricey, but they are good for a month. Keep us posted.

And welcome to TCS.

Last edited: