Cats Very Lethargic, Limping And Not Eating After Vaccine

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 one year old male cats that stay inside but do go outside a few hours per day. They both stopped using their litter boxes. Not going in the house or outside the box but just stopped using all together. I keep the boxes clean, haven't moved them, changed litter or nothing. All of a sudden for whatever reason they stopped using them.

I took them to the Vet and she did a urinalysis and fecal test and both negative and they are not plugged up. She said apparently they are using outside. Still concerns me that they will not use their litter boxes.

However they were also due for their follow up booster shot. The paper work says 4-1 Leuk vaccine. After the vet visit they went outside for an hour or so, when I picked one of them up he whimpered and acted like he was hurting. Last nite they didn't eat and I assumed it was the after effects from the vaccine.

Normally every morning they are very active, wake me up and ready to eat. However today they will not eat and very lethargic. One of the cats is limping on his left back leg, whimpering and the other cat hasn't moved yet today.

After their initial set of vaccines a few months ago they had no after effects. Could this behavior be the after effects of the vaccine. The vet didn't say anything about after effects.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This seems to have become a common reaction, it is a reaction to the calici virus part of the vaccine. A new form of Calici showed up a number of years ago and the vaccine was changed to protect against it and this reaction seems to have become more common. There is a form of the calici virus that causes this limping which is probably where it comes from. It usually wears off in 3 days. If they still aren't eating by tomorrow then I would give the vet a call. A steroid will take the edge off the symptoms so they feel better and will start eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, one of my cats was sleeping on my lap, when he awoke I put my arm under his chest to move him. He let out a moan and before I could sit him down he bit me.
I could see him being sore in the leg where they gave him a shot, but why would he be screaming when my hand is under his upper chest area.
Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no! I would definitely put a call the vet. Meanwhile, here is an article.
Feline Vaccination Recommendations
You will have to scroll down till mid article. It says that usually, this reaction will resolve in 3 days. But it seems odd to me that both cats have reactions. Please keep us updated!
Prayers and vibes that they recover soon!
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
AND WELCOME TO TCS! :hellocomputer: