Cats upset by move

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, looking for advice here I just moved apartments with my two cats after being in one place for six years.    It was a short move nearby so they didn't have to spend any stressful time traveling, and they had easily done a much harder move six years ago.   But this time they are freaking out.    Howling at night and not letting me sleep.   Not eating much.   Running round and round the apartment sniffing  constantly.   They seem to calm down when I'm in the room with them and talking to them a lot, but I still need to be able to sleep!   I normally sleep with them shut out of the bedroom all night, and they've accepted that all these years, but now no more!   Constant mewing, I'm sleep deprived wreck.    The first night I did let them in but that didn't help either - constant activity.  

I did set up a Feliway diffuser yesterday and I've been dabbing Rescue Remedy on them.  What else can I do????

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just reading about this in the book "Think Like a Cat".  She suggest setting up a sanctuary room for them with food, water, litter box, scratching post, toys, hiding boxes and if possible a place to look out the window.  Also put some furniture in the room that the cats are familiar with.  Visit your cats throughout the day.  Keep your attitude as positive and upbeat as possible so the cats don't pick up on your stress.  When your cat's  behaviors return to normal, you can start letting them out of the room.  Yet leave it set up for awhile longer in case they need to go back to their safety room.  Try the feliway diffuser in the room along with soft music too.

Since you moved close, are you still taking care of Hercules?  I thought about your situation often with finding him a home or barn.

Hope things improve soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good to hear from you Shadowsrescue!    How's your crew doing?   Is Shadow still happy fellow with his rival kept away indoors?  The sanctuary room sounds like a great idea - if they keep on like this I may have too but now that they've seen the whole apartment maybe it would be more stress on them to shut them up in one room?    Right now they just heard a neighbor loudly slam a door and got scared and ran to the top of the kitchen cabinets where they are now pressed up against the ceiling!   That seems to be the safest spot in the apartment in their minds - and I'm already getting cat hair on my stove from this.

I moved to an apartment literally next door to my old one in the same complex, but cheaper (thank God!) in part so I could keep feeding Hercules and work something out.   But he's disappeared - I haven't seen him for two whole weeks now which is the longest he's ever been gone.   He did go away for a week at a time over the summer about fives times so I still have a little hope he may come back, but I'm very discouraged.   Feeling bad that I didn't try harder to relocate him earlier and that something has happened.   But I hope too that maybe he just found another feeder who gives him food he likes better!   I asked neighbors to watch out for him and let me know if they see him, and I'll still visit the feeding spot at the time he knows for a few more weeks.   Still in my heart the grief is already there

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good to hear from you Shadowsrescue!    How's your crew doing?   Is Shadow still happy fellow with his rival kept away indoors?  The sanctuary room sounds like a great idea - if they keep on like this I may have too but now that they've seen the whole apartment maybe it would be more stress on them to shut them up in one room?    Right now they just heard a neighbor loudly slam a door and got scared and ran to the top of the kitchen cabinets where they are now pressed up against the ceiling!   That seems to be the safest spot in the apartment in their minds - and I'm already getting cat hair on my stove from this.

I moved to an apartment literally next door to my old one in the same complex, but cheaper (thank God!) in part so I could keep feeding Hercules and work something out.   But he's disappeared - I haven't seen him for two whole weeks now which is the longest he's ever been gone.   He did go away for a week at a time over the summer about fives times so I still have a little hope he may come back, but I'm very discouraged.   Feeling bad that I didn't try harder to relocate him earlier and that something has happened.   But I hope too that maybe he just found another feeder who gives him food he likes better!   I asked neighbors to watch out for him and let me know if they see him, and I'll still visit the feeding spot at the time he knows for a few more weeks.   Still in my heart the grief is already there
Shadow is still a happy boy.  He loves his outside space and loves his new friend, Stellar. 

I wondered since you had already let them have the run of the apartment if putting them in a safe room wouldn't work.  Maybe providing them with lots of vertical space.  I know from watching Jackson Galaxy on "My Cat From Hell"  he suggests using shelving on the wall to provide space for cats to get up and away.  Also spending extra time playing with them helps to make them feel more confident. 

Oh, I hope that Hercules returns.  I forgot, is he neutered?  Last summer my feral/stray, Patches disappeared for almost 5 months.  I was positive he was dead.  He was not neutered at the time.  He did return, but I believe had found another food source.  Yet, he used my place to sleep as I had a nice winter shelter.   I did finally trap and neuter him in March.  He has only returned 3x and so very briefly that I hardly saw him.  He has been spotted by friends/neighbors in the vicinity.  I hold out hope that he will return as I worry about him.  He is just a wanderer and neutering did not stop it. 

I am glad you moved close by and can still keep an eye out for Hercules.  It must have been such a relief for you.  I often worry about when my DH and I need to move and how I will get Shadow and now Stellar to come along.  I would never be able to leave them.  My DS goes off to college next year and we don't know how much longer we will stay here. 

Marvin has now been in the house for 3 weeks.  He is out and about and mingling with my dog and indoor cat.  We have good days and bad days.  The cats still need alot of supervision.  We are working on territory issues within the house.  No major fights, but I stop most of the spats that start.  Marvin still spends all night in his safe room.  He is not ready to roam unsupervised yet.  I am so ready for them all to get along.  I sometimes wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew.

I hope that your kitties settle down soon.  Make sure they know where their favorite chairs, beds, lounging spots are as well as the litter box and food.  I bet with a little bit extra attention they will settle down soon.  I find with Rescue Remedy it's helpful to put it in their food, water and also on their fur.  I have been having really good luck with Composure liquid.  I have used the feline treats too, but Marvin decided he didn't like them after awhile.  The liquid is a bit more expensive, but works more quickly into their system.  Both Marvin and my indoor kitty, Jake receive it 2x a day.

Keep me posted on your progress as well as Hercules too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww, thanks Shadowsrescue!   Talking about biting off more than you can chew, I think these feral kitties can test us quite a bit!    I hope Marvin chills out soon and all your pets can be one big happy family soon.   After seeing the miracles Jackson Galaxy does with cats that don't get along I believe anything is possible.   Composure is something I haven't tried before - I should look into it.  I have rubbed Rescue Remedy onto Big Guy's ears but it seems to wear off quickly....maybe in the water like you are doing will be better.  

And I do remember about your Patches - yep I think Hercules is the same way.  I TNR'd him last December but he was already almost two years old then so his tomcat behaviors were already strong.   Still during the winter he was very faithful at feeding time, but the minute spring came he probably only came about 50% of the time so he's either hunting very successfully or getting food elsewhere.    I hope you get to see Patches some more. 

And yep, playtime - definitely need to add that in tonight for my indoor guys.   Thanks for all the suggestions and concern for Herc!