cats that fetch.

lellophant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm currently teaching my cat how to fetch, an she's learning quite fast.
Anyone have any tips to share?

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, first of all my PHX will fetch his toys... or heck anything that I throw he will fetch. But when I got him-- he was already trained-LOL. I think it was more of a natural instinct for him. You know those little fake mice that come in like a 5 pack at Wal-mart? PHX loves getting those!Just make sure the cat is in a playful mood when you try to play fetch with him otherwise he might not be interested. Make sure he SEES the toy in your hand... then throw it not too far so he SEES it land..

Since my PHX knows how to 'fetch' he will bring things to me when HE wants to play. He will bring: little mice, lighters
, plastic rings from milk jugs, or any other little light toy he can carry in his mouth.

Oh, and I think I forgot to tell you:

Welcome to TCS!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some cats are more natural fetchers then others. A lot of my rexes were naturals - one even taught some of the others where he went to live on how to play the fetch game. It was comical. Tommy would fetch the mouse toy and bring it back.

He would wait for the others to do the same - sit back and watch. Then give them a disquested look like "you guys are SOOOOOOOOoo dense" and go after it and show them how to play. Took them awhile but a few caught on

smokeys_mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
funny thing i didnt even teach my cat to fetch one day i was doing homework and got fusterated and balled it up and threw it on the ground and he chased it picked it up in his mouth and brought it back to me thought it was the cutest thing
well i dont have him anymore cause someone stole him from me but i have a girl now and she does the same thing and i didnt even hav to train her it came naturally crazy

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes our kits do it as well. Mika will come and "talk" to me when she wants to play - she talks, then turns, runs into the family room and sits down to wait for me to come. Bijou drags the wand or mouse to me and drops it on my foot.

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I think some cats are more natural fetchers then others. A lot of my rexes were naturals - one even taught some of the others where he went to live on how to play the fetch game. It was comical. Tommy would fetch the mouse toy and bring it back.

He would wait for the others to do the same - sit back and watch. Then give them a disquested look like "you guys are SOOOOOOOOoo dense" and go after it and show them how to play. Took them awhile but a few caught on
yep yep our rex does it too

waxlight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Funny enough, my Mama Fetch is currently sitting outside the French Doors to the library, repeatedly picking up and dropping a beer bottle top in an attempt to get me to come out and play.

I'd just open the door, but I have another cat, Lady, who has month old kittens in here - she carried them out of the library for the first time today. Things went well for about six hours, until I heard pitiful mewing, and found that she had put them -inside- the couch. So, they're back in the room unless I'm out with them. Heh.

Now, if I could just get Mama Fetch interested in going after the beer bottle tops the other cats play 'soccer' with...

cat brothers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Reading this thread reminded me that when my Persy was young he would instigate a game of fetch on his own; he would bring me one of those soft rubber golf balls and drop it at my feet and then chase it and bring it back until he grew tired then simply stopped. And the interesting thing is that a remember reading in one of those cat authority books that cats don't fetch! Obviously the writer hadn't observed the right cats.
Cat brothers

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Sweetie will play fetch with her pink mouse or her favorite toy, a twistie. I can throw the mouse some distance but not the twistie. Whichever one she's playing with when she brings it back she will paw my leg until I throw it again. I didn't teach her she just did this. Juno my other cat just watches and won't join in. She's more of a couch potato.

saturdaysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The best kitten I ever had I got when he was two weeks old. A tiny white, six toed boy, covered in ring worm, he love to play fetch. His favorite toy was a ball of aluminum foil. I threw he fetched and would place the ball in my shoe, prance and meow. He also had an affinity for dollar bills and would extract them from my wallet or the table and hide them. Later when he went to a new home, the owners of the farm house loved his entertaining ability to fetch. What they were not so fond of was waking up to discover their shoes were filled with dead mice. In the meantime, the cats owner was upset that he had money missing from his wallet. He accussed his daughters of taking it. Later when moving the couch to vacuuum, he discovered a nest of bills.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia plays fetch, started as a kitten, just did it! I was in hysterics the first time! Heres a pic...

She only does it with shoe laces, but that is her favorite toy!

L

larks

our part bengali cat plays fetch with a piece of fake fur, we put it on top of a 4 poster bed frame and everytime she brings it back. However our other cat just looks at us like we're daft if we tried and the kitten just grabs and runs off so its not all cats

luv my tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Alley is there...on You Tube. When you go there, just type in "a fetching tabby ". She is fetching her play mouse 3 times.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two cats and only one of them has mastered the art of fetch...actually, he taught himself. We just bought him a bunch of toys when he was young and noticed he would carry them around. Find something they really like to play fetch with and if they have the "smarts" as I like to call it, they will realize the toy will keep playing if you give it back to mommy.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine play fetch, I didn't teach them as such, it came to them naturally. Radar is a pro and will leap in the air to catch things and bring them straight back to me. Although I say I haven't trained him, I give him lots of praise when he drops the toy right by my feet, so I do encourage him in that way.

The funniest thing was once I was lying on the sofa and Nate was playing fetch with him, but Radar brought the toy back and dropped it on the floor next to the sofa I was on. I told him to 'take mousy to Nate' and the daft wee thing went and sat by Nate and looked up at him waiting for him to throw it - but he hadn't taken the mouse with him
I was very impressed that he got it half right though, he's quite smart really

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Sphnyx loves to play fetch. I never taught him how to do it.. it just kind of happened. He can play for hours and his favourite thing to retrieve is a little rolled up piece of paper

mistercatworks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was housesitting/catsitting a beautiful Abysininan who had a Labrador Retriever playmate. I would sit at the top of the stairs and throw down a squeaky toy. Both the dog and cat would dash down the stairs. The cat would stop halfway and rejoin the dog for the dash back up the stairs.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistercatworks

I was housesitting/catsitting a beautiful Abysininan who had a Labrador Retriever playmate. I would sit at the top of the stairs and throw down a squeaky toy. Both the dog and cat would dash down the stairs. The cat would stop halfway and rejoin the dog for the dash back up the stairs.
Thats the cat trying to take credit for the fetch with the dog, but cheating by waiting half way!
I don't know how anyone can't love a cat!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sphynx

My Sphnyx loves to play fetch. I never taught him how to do it.. it just kind of happened. He can play for hours and his favourite thing to retrieve is a little rolled up piece of paper
I have a Sphynx too!
She naturally fetches as well.

mistercatworks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over the years, I have developed a toy popular with cats who enjoy fetching. Take four or five wire ties and make a wire frame ball by twisting their ends together. Be sure to bend the wire ends so they are covered and discard when the wire becomes exposed.

Cats will bat it around and also be able to pick it up in their mouths.

Best of all, if you step on it in the dark, it flattens out, instead of you. Just bend its arcs out again and it's ready to go.