Cats suddenly not getting along-help!!

alex333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is my first time posting on this site. I'm so hoping to get help. I have 2 cats - Koa (6 yrs old, fixed male, Siamese mix) and Hunter (3 yrs old, fixed female, domestic shorthair). Both cats are super friendly and Koa is Mr. Personality-everyone loves him (super social). Koa has always been the alpha cat and Hunter has always been a shyer cat (they have been together 2 1/2 yrs). About 2 months ago, Hunter started hissing at Koa anytime he runs to play with her. It's like she's had enough of him. He seems more aggressive now that she won't play with him. It's really frustrating b/c they used to get along for the most part, sleep together and groom and really have no tension. Now it feels like there is tension constantly and she hisses at him at least twice a day (that I know of since I'm not home all the time). When they eat together it's fine, when I play with them together, is fine. It's just when he's not distracted or sleeping that he seems so interested in Hunter and she's not having it. I have tried Feliway diffusers, Bach rescue remedy (for Koa-just started that 4 days ago-seems to help a bit), Zylkene (for Hunter-vet gave it-it's just an herbal supplement-made Hunter more confident/less shy), playtime every night, but this is still going on. They have plenty of cat trees, resting places, toys, litter boxes, etc...Is Hunter just setting new boundaries for Koa? Will he eventually get it? I worry that someone will get hurt (luckily no injuries thus far). It's keeping me up at night b/c I'm worried something will happen. Any help would be great!! I'm seriously losing sleep b/c I love these cats like they are my kids and I just want them to be happy! Thank you all.

animallover6344

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do they have enough resources for themselves? Because cats do hunt alone even indoor cats are hardwired to be protective of its resources. Does one of your cats try to intimidate the other? For food or the litter box? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi-thanks for replying. Koa does intimidate Hunter, but not for food or litter box. He is always pouncing at her (not on her). Most fights start from him running up to her on the steps or in doorways. He wasn't always like this-really just started 2 months ago. Sometimes she just walks away, sometimes swats at him, sometimes hisses, and sometimes rolls on her back for defense (that happens once in a while). They never full blown fight, but I know she's clearly annoyed by him. He backs off, and never hisses at her. But it's like he doesn't get it.

alex333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 litter boxes, they have their own feeding stations, I have 4 cat trees throughout the house, and tons of toys. I play with them nightly. Koa just constantly wants attention.

animallover6344

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be that Koa wants to mount her but Hunter isn't letting him. Even if he is neutered he is still male. 
Maybe getting koa a toy that will distract him for a while or tire him out will help stop his constant nagging for hunter to play?

alex333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It definitely could be-I play with him with "da bird" and get him and Hunter so worn out with it. But then a few hours later, Koa is ready to play again. It really is when he gets that "wild hair" and races up and down the steps that gets Hunter aggravated. But then they calm down and are fine. Just concerns me b/c Hunter never used to hiss at him and occasionally growl-she's pissed b/c I'm sure he's annoying her. Do you think he will eventually get the hint?