Cats Suddenly Not Eating Primal

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding Stella and Chewy mixed with Primal to my cats. They absolutely love both but I just opened a new bag of Primal, different batch number than the last 4 bags and one cat picks at it and the other walks away. All the ingredients are the same on the bag, texture is the same but I noticed when reconstituted it is a little bloodier looking. The one cat that picked at it had a very stinky poo this morning. He hasn't had stinky poos since I started feeding raw freeze dried. I put down just plain Stella and Chewy and they both gobbled it up. Funny that they usually prefer the Primal. Something has to be different ugh. I have 5 bags of that same batch number and 1 bag of Stella and Chewy cause I was going to cut that out completely due to the company not responding to any of my messages, but now I guess not.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something i still feel guilty about is my little girl and Stella and Chewy, im not picking on them, i know it can happen with any food brand. But she always liked Stella and Chewy, then she went off it. i kept trying for a day or two, adding toppers that kind of thing. Then she started throwing up so i quit it. That lot was recalled due to Listeria contamination :( My cat was fine, no problem other than she threw up 2 or 3 times, right after eating.

If any question about the foods, i would see about returning it? Maybe they will exchange for a different lot?

Im not sure if Stella was the one not responding? I had that problem with Primal. They did reply to my question but all they said was and i quote. "We are sorry your cats will not be enjoying Primal any longer" Nothing else :( I had asked about the safety of Coconut oil in cat food.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be one of 2 things. Either they are both sick of primal or you have a bad batch. Sounds more like it’s a bad batch. I would stop feeding it and contact the company to tell them what happened.

Other good raw brands to consider if you’re wanting to cut out s&c are Rad Cat and Northwest Naturals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was Stella and Chewy that hasn't responded to 5 messages I have sent them and that is the only reason for discontinuing it due to poor customer service. Neither kitty acts sick or threw up. I do have 1 bag with a different batch number I will open and try feeding and if they devour that like they usually do, I will contact Chewy.com and see what they say about the batch they will not eat.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was Stella and Chewy that hasn't responded to 5 messages I have sent them and that is the only reason for discontinuing it due to poor customer service. Neither kitty acts sick or threw up. I do have 1 bag with a different batch number I will open and try feeding and if they devour that like they usually do, I will contact Chewy.com and see what they say about the batch they will not eat.
I would contact primal directly. They should offer to do testing on the batch to make sure it is clean. If it is not, other consumers should be notified too.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy has always been awesome anytime i have had a problem. I think they have great customer service!

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chewy has always been awesome anytime i have had a problem. I think they have great customer service!
I am going to try the other batch number first to make sure they aren't just being picky. I also bought them new car bowls and my husband mentioned try the next feeding in their old bowls before opening a new bag. It still doesnt account for the stinky poo but he is my little trash panda so he could have got into the dog food or something left in the sink ect.

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would contact primal directly. They should offer to do testing on the batch to make sure it is clean. If it is not, other consumers should be notified too.
I am going to try the other batch number first to make sure they aren't just being picky. I also bought them new car bowls and myhusband mentioned try the next feeding in their old bowls before opening a new bag. It stilldoesnt account for the stinkypoo but he is my little trashpanda so he could have got intothe dog food or something leftin the sink ect.

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on the boys. Ollie my seal point aka trash panda, ate with enthusiasm when I put the food in his familiar bowl. Opie my red point, mr. Picky, did not eat from the old bowl. He was the one refusing to eat it to begin with. I tried the other batch and he still refused to eat it until I crumbled the stella and chewy on top and he ate it all. I guess I will be doing that until either he stops being picky or just continue to do it that way for him. Just order small bag of stella and chewy every month for that. I still am not sure about the stinky pooh this morning. It looked normal just smelt worse.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on the boys. Ollie my seal point aka trash panda, ate with enthusiasm when I put the food in his familiar bowl. Opie my red point, mr. Picky, did not eat from the old bowl. He was the one refusing to eat it to begin with. I tried the other batch and he still refused to eat it until I crumbled the stella and chewy on top and he ate it all. I guess I will be doing that until either he stops being picky or just continue to do it that way for him. Just order small bag of stella and chewy every month for that. I still am not sure about the stinky pooh this morning. It looked normal just smelt worse.
sounds good :) I would just keep watch, or sniffing i guess..lol ? If the stinky poo continues he may need a vet check. :)

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sounds good :) I would just keep watch, or sniffing i guess..lol ? If the stinky poo continues he may need a vet check. :)
The one with the stinky poops is the one eating and acting totally normal. If it gets the slightest bit runny or he vomits, he will most definitely go to the vet. They never, ever vomit so it would be a sign. Both cats are acting normal. They are spoiled brats lol.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It stilldoesnt account for the stinkypoo but he is my little trashpanda so he could have got intothe dog food or something leftin the sink ect.
Yes, this is exactly why I rarely blame the food if a cat throws up just once and, otherwise, seems normal! Whatever's in the sink or garbage disposal, plants (formerly, they're now out of cat range), dust bunnies, pine needles... you name it, they love to try it. Your cats are obviously Siamese (or mixes), too, and they're most apt to have stomach issues. It's good that you're feeding them raw food -- our cats really thrive on it.

As for Primal, though, their food tends to vary quite a bit and there have been bags that our cats haven't liked very much. I've been feeding Primal for several years and have taken a few back to the stores where I bought it. We use freeze-dried and sometimes the food is much harder and more difficult to break; sometimes it's softer and crumblier. In general, though, the cats love it.

Good luck -- fingers crossed that the problem's gone!

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is exactly why I rarely blame the food if a cat throws up just once and, otherwise, seems normal! Whatever's in the sink or garbage disposal, plants (formerly, they're now out of cat range), dust bunnies, pine needles... you name it, they love to try it. Your cats are obviously Siamese (or mixes), too, and they're most apt to have stomach issues. It's good that you're feeding them raw food -- our cats really thrive on it.

As for Primal, though, their food tends to vary quite a bit and there have been bags that our cats haven't liked very much. I've been feeding Primal for several years and have taken a few back to the stores where I bought it. We use freeze-dried and sometimes the food is much harder and more difficult to break; sometimes it's softer and crumblier. In general, though, the cats love it.

Good luck -- fingers crossed that the problem's gone!
Both cats are full Siamese. One is a thai type, seal, registered with the CFA and the other is a more modern type, red, registered with TICA.
Thank thank you for the info. Unfortunately we have to mail order our food as there are no dealers that carry good cat food in Corpus Christi, TX. As long as they will eat it with the Stella and Chewy as a topper, I am okay with that. There hatches shouldn't vary so much that cats can pick up on it. I never had that problem with S&C but they will not answer any of my emails so I am hesitant to feed it full time. It is like they are hiding something lol.

terriesdoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update this morning: both cats are eating now, in their new stainless bowls without the Stella and Chewy as a topper. I haven't smelt any poop either and it looks normal. I guess the difference in the batch was something they didn't particularly like but are eating it. I don't know if I can go through this with every batch change. I will just order the smallest bag of Stella and Chewy to use as a topper in case this happens again.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update this morning: both cats are eating now, in their new stainless bowls without the Stella and Chewy as a topper. I haven't smelt any poop either and it looks normal. I guess the difference in the batch was something they didn't particularly like but are eating it. I don't know if I can go through this with every batch change. I will just order the smallest bag of Stella and Chewy to use as a topper in case this happens again.
That's good to hear!