Cats Still Not Getting On!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Claudia01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Timmer oh wow, you deserve a medal and a vacation! You’re right, some cats will just not get along, and to so carefully site swap religiously for 8 years is so impressive and amazing. Your story is lovely and tragic. This is actually my first cat integration, and if we had actual fights with a lot of blood or fur, or if we had seen no progress at all from Gohan, Olive would have been rehomed. Or if Olive has been timid and hid more. She is kind of my soulmate cat, but I could not have kept her under those terms.

As it is, these 7 months have been so stressful and hard, in hindsight I might have rehomed Olive had I known. Now I’m so happy I have her, but I always say I wouldn’t wish a long integration on my worst enemy. Claudia01 Claudia01 , I’m so sorry you are going through it. A big part of our problems was either Feliway didn’t help or the house is too drafty. Catnip winds Gohan up, and he doesn’t really play well under good circumstances so we couldn’t tire him out. He wasn’t treat or food motivated, and at the beginning he was so nerved up at the new cat that just touching to try and distract or reward would actually cause a chase. So we had little in our toolbelts.

Have you considered a cat behaviorist (a la Jackson Galaxy)? They are very expensive but maybe they can help you with a feline perspective that you aren’t aware of. Or they may think that rehoming is a better option. We talked about it ourselves, but we decided not to based on price and the fact that we already understood Gohan takes ages to act on something so he can think it through first, and we knew to give him time.
It would be to expensive, I've spoken to my vet and they just say to give it time, advised that it could take as long as six months although sometimes it just doesn't work out. I wish I had a crystal ball lol. I do play with Smokey to tire him out as he's full of energy, then he will just sleep which Misty prefers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Claudia01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Timmer oh wow, you deserve a medal and a vacation! You’re right, some cats will just not get along, and to so carefully site swap religiously for 8 years is so impressive and amazing. Your story is lovely and tragic. This is actually my first cat integration, and if we had actual fights with a lot of blood or fur, or if we had seen no progress at all from Gohan, Olive would have been rehomed. Or if Olive has been timid and hid more. She is kind of my soulmate cat, but I could not have kept her under those terms.

As it is, these 7 months have been so stressful and hard, in hindsight I might have rehomed Olive had I known. Now I’m so happy I have her, but I always say I wouldn’t wish a long integration on my worst enemy. Claudia01 Claudia01 , I’m so sorry you are going through it. A big part of our problems was either Feliway didn’t help or the house is too drafty. Catnip winds Gohan up, and he doesn’t really play well under good circumstances so we couldn’t tire him out. He wasn’t treat or food motivated, and at the beginning he was so nerved up at the new cat that just touching to try and distract or reward would actually cause a chase. So we had little in our toolbelts.

Have you considered a cat behaviorist (a la Jackson Galaxy)? They are very expensive but maybe they can help you with a feline perspective that you aren’t aware of. Or they may think that rehoming is a better option. We talked about it ourselves, but we decided not to based on price and the fact that we already understood Gohan takes ages to act on something so he can think it through first, and we knew to give him time.
Wouldn't be able to afford that, my vet says to give it time, and it could take up to six months. I just feel like we havnt made any progress at all.