Cats Still Hate Each Other

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_1961.PNG
IMG_1962.PNG
IMG_3190.JPG
I have had two cats and two sets of dogs(only two dogs at one time) for 8 years now, dogs are all small and rescues. Both cats are former ferals. Why do both my cats love my dogs and HATE each other, after all this time. I gave up and separated cats and rotate their locations so they are never together, because he try's to kill her! The dogs have calming affect on aggressive male cat. Has anyone else had two cats that just needed to be separated?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is everyone neutered and spayed? If so I believe they just need to get used to the sight of each other. Mine were separated by a screen door for a year, and when let out did fine. Yours may need being placed side by side in dog kennels, it may help to reintroduce them. Are you sure he is actually attacking? Was there injuries, blood, cuts, bites? He may be trying to assert his dominance and females always sound like they are getting attacked, I am startled several times a day when one of the boys jumps on my little female. Eventually the female stands up to them or escapes to a place she can defend. I hope someone has more experience with long term introductions, 8 years is too long for them to not get along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Is everyone neutered and spayed? If so I believe they just need to get used to the sight of each other. Mine were separated by a screen door for a year, and when let out did fine. Yours may need being placed side by side in dog kennels, it may help to reintroduce them. Are you sure he is actually attacking? Was there injuries, blood, cuts, bites? He may be trying to assert his dominance and females always sound like they are getting attacked, I am startled several times a day when one of the boys jumps on my little female. Eventually the female stands up to them or escapes to a place she can defend. I hope someone has more experience with long term introductions, 8 years is too long for them to not get along.
Yes fur flys and he bites her, he has no claws (long story) it was that or euthanasia, he bites us too! He loves his puppies, odd???

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes fur flys and he bites her, he has no claws (long story) it was that or euthanasia, he bites us too! He loves his puppies, odd???
The only time he can be handled is when I have his food! After that he is back to being crazy!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he may be in pain. Have you taken him to a vet?

Is he neutered? Is your female spayed?

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
They are both fixed and former Ferals! He was brought in as a 5 week old abandoned kitten. He then turned into an attack machine. He drew so much blood my dad wanted him put down, I could not do it so as a last resort had him declawed, it could be that his wiring is not quite right

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing likely made the situation worse. Please take your cat to the vet and make sure your cat is not in pain. He sounds very unhappy and uncomfortable.

You might consider and anti-anxiety medication for him.