Cats' shorter lifespans

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're all aware that our cats don't live as long as we usually do, and most of the time we just think of it as something sad.

But lately I've been thinking that there's more to it than the sadness of saying goodbye when a cat is old and you're not.

Cats grow up faster, age faster, live faster than we do. When I first adopted Tiny, he was a gangly street cat, the equivalent of a teenager in human terms, and he didn't trust anyone. I was twenty-three, and I was older than Tiny. I taught him how to trust. I taught him how to deal with his fear of thunderstorms and how to tolerate having his claws clipped. I showed him that the world was interesting, and that it was safe to explore because the world was no longer going to chase him away for being a mangy stray. I taught him that he could ask me for things, and I'd give them to him. Well, mostly. Some things just don't fare well between the inquisitive paws of a cat.

And then Tiny started passing me in age. He started to learn about me, just the way I was learning about him. He learned how to get me out of bed in the morning with gentle pats of the paw. He learned that when I'm overloaded and stuck, he can nudge me out of it. He learned how to lead me, his tail straight up, to his food bowl or his water dish. He even learned how to remind me to do things when I forgot them and he noticed the break in routine. He'll come to me and look at me, then walk away, look back at me, as though saying, "You should be doing something else, not this. Follow me, I'll show you." Or, "You're stuck again, aren't you? Here, human, I'll reset you."

Now Tiny is seven years old, and I am thirty. In cat years, he is older than me, middle-aged, and he is starting to take care of me. When he was young, living with Tiny felt like I was raising a child. Now it feels like living with an older brother. When he's old and grand and wise, I'll still have to look hard in the mirror to find my first wrinkles.

It's not as simple as shorter lifespans, is it? It's like my cat is on a faster timeline than I am. Things just don't take them as long as they take us. A whole lifetime, for a cat, can be fifteen years--and it's just as whole a lifetime as a human's seventy-five.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great way to put it and a really eloquent tribute to Tiny.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love your thinking and have often thought of a cat's lifespan in comparison. I do the same thing, comparing my age to what my cat's are at this point in time. Also, for my elderly dog who aged four years to my one this year. I read this wonderful story in our local shelter newsletter recently. The whole family was crying out after their dog was just euthanized. The mother said "WHY do they have such short lifespans compared to us - it is just not fair!" The boy, who was seven, said "Because when they are born they already know how to love and people have to learn how to love and it takes them much longer" Anyway - something along those lines, I just can't remember the exact words! We all can learn so much from our little furbabies. :heart2:

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
What a great post. :nod: I do think that Abby is now "older" than me and she seems to have mellowed out and settle down quite a bit.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was truly wonderful!!!! 
You were exactly right in your observations. I've always said we should honor the love we share with our little ones and what better way then as we honor our elders! I've often wished all of our babies could live to be 15 or 20, but as in human life it is just not meant to be, we need to cherish what time we have with them, whether it's days or years. I feel content in my soul to hear of the wonderful love that we all feel for our companions and friends, and my soul cries for those little ones who are abused or never know what that love is. Thank you so much!