Cats Refusing To Eat The Healthier Wet Food

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my guys get dry & wet food. 2/3 of the time they get the healthier L.I.D. venison & pea food & 1 day of cat fancy feast broth pouches of tuna/salmon. On fish days my cats eat it up. Venison days? They nibble but hardly touch it. I have tried heating it a few seconds for the times when the rest of it was stored in the fridge. They liked the L.I.D. beef a bit better but still left stuff over (mind you I'm talking about 1/3 of a big can or 1/2 of a small can between 2 cats portion wise.) Any ideas on how to get them to eat more? Should I just feed them venison & beef for 3 months? Should I take away their dry food 2 hours before dinner? Should I mix a broth up with a can, then store half of it in the fridge for later? I tried feeding them twice a day but that didn't work.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The venison I’m assuming is natural balance yes? My cats hated their food. I’ve tried a few. I currently have some of their old Wild pursuit line. I feed it sparingly because they dislike it so much I also add water in to help soften it up and make it more gravey. Idk what that company puts in their pates to make them smell and look the way they do but it makes me suspicious. If you cats like the fish flakes why don’t you try a different food? Like the shredded wellness selects foods. It’s just shreds of meat. Also you could try soulistic and weruva. They are just shredded meats in gravy as well.

Elena2915

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you considered changing the flavor? Personally not many animals I know like venison flavored things kind of weird you think they would but they don’t my Raw fed dogs are even super picky about it.

Maybe consider switching to a white meat as naturally cast eat a half red half white meat-based diet anyway. Maybe try limited ingredient chicken or something what brand are you feeding and why are you feeding limited ingredient

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is allergic to chicken & all poultry in fact. Right now their dry food is salmon & trout. So I'm trying to give them other proteins. I will buy them more beef flavor. I might try some rabbit next month. If I could get them to eat more wet food I would feed them twice a day. When I mixed in a pouch they ate it all. Maybe I should try that? * Yes it is Natural Balance. They like the LID Instinct Beef. They love the fancy feast broths :rolleyes:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think I should try rabbit or lamb next month?

pinknomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so someone told me that if your cat is refusing to eat healthier wet food. the solution is to not give them wet food for like a month so when you finally give them some, they will eat it.

some people who have transitioned from supermarket to healthier wet food told me to do this.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While trying to make sure your cats are eating healthy food is admirable, the most important thing is that they are eating enough food to nourish them. To be blunt, if there is a food your cats don't like, it just isn't going to happen. There's no way to force your cats to want to eat something, and cats will go hungry rather than eat something they think is not good.

Personally, I would recommend trying other options to see if there's a different food that will go over better. The quality of the ingredients in the food is a moot point if your cats aren't actually eating it, so if you have to compromise the quality a bit, it is what it is.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys are dry food junkies. They have dry food available 24/7. The only reason I started feeding them wet food was because I moved into a house that had an older cat that got fed wet food 4-6 times a day. *sigh* fine I can hold off on feeding them venison. I know they like bunny because they gobble up the freeze dried bunny treats. I wish I could buy it a can at a time instead of a case.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much :) I will try a couple of samples and see how it goes :) I'm curious to see if my allergic kitty can eat guinea fowl or not.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try Nature's Variety Venison. You'll have to buy the 13 oz dog food cans (It still contains taurine). Also do you mix the dry/wet or just feed each individually? I've always mixed and my guys seem to do fine.

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed it separate.
Cats will eat what they want to eat or they'll starve. They aren't like dogs that will hold out and eventually eat. If your kitties are dry food junkies, try sprinkling the wet food with some kibble mixed in. My kitty eats way more wet food if I do that. I only leave a little bit of kibble in her bowl throughout the day so that she's hungry for her wet food for dinner. After the evening wet food portion, I'll refill her bowl of kibble with 1/2 cup and she eats that overnight. I wait a bit in the morning after I get up and then she gets a wet food portion as well.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vets have always told me that the best food for the cat is the food the cat will eat.

When my first cat adopted me, I didn't know anything about cats. I fed her Fancy Feast, and she lived to almost 20 with no health issues at all until her final year.

With my subsequent two cats, I was determined to feed them only 'high end' wet food, but both of them rejected every single brand I tried! (There's a great pet store near me that stocks only higher quality food, so I was able to get a variety of brands.) Both would only eat Fancy Feast.

I'm about to adopt again and already have some Wild Calling to try with the new cat, but I won't be surprised if we eventually wind up back on Fancy Feast. It seems to be 'kitty crack.'

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vets have always told me that the best food for the cat is the food the cat will eat.

When my first cat adopted me, I didn't know anything about cats. I fed her Fancy Feast, and she lived to almost 20 with no health issues at all until her final year.

With my subsequent two cats, I was determined to feed them only 'high end' wet food, but both of them rejected every single brand I tried! (There's a great pet store near me that stocks only higher quality food, so I was able to get a variety of brands.) Both would only eat Fancy Feast.

I'm about to adopt again and already have some Wild Calling to try with the new cat, but I won't be surprised if we eventually wind up back on Fancy Feast. It seems to be 'kitty crack.'
My cat loves Wild Calling, although I can only speak for the Turkey and Chicken. Of course, she ONLY likes the expensive stuff these days. She was fine with FF Classics and especially Sheba, hell she was eating dry Friskies when I got her and was perfectly healthy, until she found out there is stuff out there for three times the price. I must say, however, that her coat has thickened up noticeably since she no longer exists on Friskies. The Wild Calling smells like real food, as well.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm hoping my new (soon-to-be adopted) cat will love Wild Calling, too. I bought chicken, beef, turkey, and duck, hoping that one or two of them will 'take.'

I had to laugh at your cat preferring expensive foods! I could not get either of my guys to eat any high-end food. They both insisted on their Fancy Feast. With the last one, I was at least able to limit him to meat (he loved chicken and turkey).

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is so many brands and formulas you can try. One of my cat cant eat chicken, some of the food i use: Ziwi peak lamb + lamb and maquerel/ i and love and you rabbit/ Boreal beef and salmon...and the dry food is oven baked tradition Duck. Dont give up, you will find something.