Cats rectum looks extremely irritated after vet rectal exam.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning.Two days ago I took my cat to the vet for being lethargic and sometimes having a small amount of blood in his stool. One if the procedures the vet did was a rectal exam, the exam was done while my cat was awake. Now my cats anus looks very sore and hurt.Is this a normal looking cat behind after a rectal exam? ThNk you.Is there anything I can do to alleviate the irritated area?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he was violated somewhat by the exam and it is normal for it to be swollen and sore. You could apply some antibiotic salve very gently to the area to alleviate some of the pain, just make sure it does NOT have painkillers in it as so many do nowadays. you could also look at some human hemorrhoid salves, just research what is in them to make sure if he (and he will) licks the area they are safe. This should get better in a few days. Make sure he is pooping, it will be painful for him, maybe give him a little better (teaspoon) to soften his stools. There is not enough lactose in butter to bother a cat, who is usually intolerant after a certain age. Did they find out anything? All the luck, I pray he gets better in the coming days!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he was violated somewhat by the exam and it is normal for it to be swollen and sore. You could apply some antibiotic salve very gently to the area to alleviate some of the pain, just make sure it does NOT have painkillers in it as so many do nowadays. you could also look at some human hemorrhoid salves, just research what is in them to make sure if he (and he will) licks the area they are safe. This should get better in a few days. Make sure he is pooping, it will be painful for him, maybe give him a little better (teaspoon) to soften his stools. There is not enough lactose in butter to bother a cat, who is usually intolerant after a certain age. Did they find out anything? All the luck, I pray he gets better in the coming days!
Thank you so much for your response. He seems constipated. The vet said there was nothing abnormal he felt.The vet prescribed Metronidazole and I administered three doses before stopping He seemed to get constipated while on the medicine. What do you mean by a "little better" so if I give him butter that might help?thank you so much.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that was meant to say butter, not better :lol:. Since he has been diagnosed with constipation, were you advised to feed wet food, or to try to get him to drink more water? Cats who eat mainly dry food have a tendency towards constipation, so the more hydration he gets the better. Since learning that (after having constipated cats) I now only feed wet food and even add filtered water to that wet food to make it more wet!

Have plenty of water bowls around the house, and maybe even a fountain for him.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you,that's wonderful advice.I usually feed him both dry and wet,but since this constipation started I've switched over to only wet,I will put a little water into his wet food,thank you!
Yes, that was meant to say butter, not better :lol:. Since he has been diagnosed with constipation, were you advised to feed wet food, or to try to get him to drink more water? Cats who eat mainly dry food have a tendency towards constipation, so the more hydration he gets the better. Since learning that (after having constipated cats) I now only feed wet food and even add filtered water to that wet food to make it more wet!

Have plenty of water bowls around the house, and maybe even a fountain for him.
Thank you,that's wonderful advice.I usually feed him both dry and wet,but since this constipation started I've switched over to only wet,I will put a little water into his wet food,thank you!He does seem to drink a lot of water on his own, so that's a good thing.He did go to the bathroom a couple of hours ago thank goodness. It's funny, but when you know your cats habits and schedule and then it changes ( like there bathroom schedule) it can be a concern, but I guess it doesn't always mean something bad is going to happen. 😊

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also ask your vet if you could give 1/4 tsp. Miralax mixed in an egg yolk or a small amount of lickable treat. That really helped my cat's constipation. Butter just softens the stool, and makes everything pass better. I use it for hairballs too.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can also ask your vet if you could give 1/4 tsp. Miralax mixed in an egg yolk or a small amount of lickable treat. That really helped my cat's constipation. Butter just softens the stool, and makes everything pass better. I use it for hairballs too.
I will get some Miralax,thank you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you use Miralax, be sure to dissolve it in a tiny bit of water first, before adding it to anything. Some people forget that step and it can cause problems. But it does work great when dissolved in water first. And it's odorless, tasteless, and doesn't gel up.