Cats randomly sniffing and rubbing up against one specific area of the floor?

plutosangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my cats demonstrated some really weird behaviour today. I was in the kitchen and I noticed that my cats found some interesting scent on the floor and seemed to really enjoy it - they started rolling and rubbing against the floor only at a specific spot! I've never bought catnip and neither was I cooking anything strange - it was just chicken soup and salad something I make very often. Why did they behave this way? What does it mean?

I got so curious that I went down and took a few sniffs myself! I couldn't smell anything at all! Lol

I've uploaded two videos to YouTube with their odd behaviour:

Last edited:

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
You never know what's going to interest them! I know we had one who loved mint of any sort, not just catnip. It could also be as simple as a smell tracked into the room from outside. Some cats love fresh cut grass or leaves. Our Sybil loves dried leave in the fall. If we get one in the house, she'll carry it all over rolling on it.

It may also be that they're just trying to mark that spot for some reason. Often when cats rub their faces on something, it's to mark it with their scent, so they may just have decided that that spot doesn't smell enough like them at the moment.

Mona1052

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats have been sniffing an area of the carpet ever since it was cleaned a couple of weeks ago. I can't figure it out either