Cats randomly picked a new place to go to the bathroom...

jetgirl43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently my two cats (brothers) have taken to pooping in the corner of the living room. They have never done this before and I can't for the life of me figure out what to do to make it stop. At first I thought it was because we were gone all weekend and had someone else come and feed them at different times than normal, or that we changed the style of litter box we had a month and a half ago, but it just happened again while I was home and it only started this weekend. They did it when they were meowing to be fed. As I was about to feed them, I noticed it was quieter all the sudden, so I went to the corner and sure enough they had pooped. Since it was an empty corner originally I put their favorite chair in the corner, I have cleaned it all out and put toys there, I have sprayed the area with lemon eucalyptus to ward them from the area (which worked for a day), the only thing I haven't thought of is putting another litter box there. What do you guys recommend? This isn't at all like them, and I need to figure something out because I am having a baby in the next six weeks.

Last edited:

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd probably put a litterbox there for now, and slowly (oh so slowly) move it back towards where they should be pooping. 

How many boxes do you have right now? And of course, how often do you scoop? Was the box maybe particularly gross that day?