Cats Quit Eating The Only Wet Food They've Ever Liked - What Now?

hazzaram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little background... My kitties are 4 and 5 years old. I did the whole thing of going to the pet store, buying a bit of everything and letting them try it. I even tried raw. They turned their nose up at everything but Fancy Feast Pate and so I settled with that since it's not *terrible*.

Now they seem bored with it. They just take a few bites and then just leave it to rot. It's been about a week so I give them krispies just so they're eating *something*.

Here in Canada, the flavours are really limited in FF pate. There's literally only fish (which they don't like), chicken, turkey or beef. And they seem sick of them all :(

Luckytheordinary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are “krispies”? If they like things that are crunchy, try feeding dry food if you haven’t already. If you don’t want to buy a whole bag you can buy small bag of cat treats to check their preferences regarding the texture and hardness of the food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Oh, this is so, so hard when this happens.

If you can get it, try Purina Muse, or Purina One True Instinct.

Do you have access to Tractor Supply Online? @lisahe has suggested that Tractor Supply's "Kitchen Selects" pates are very decent food -- the recipes are a lot like FF Classics but with more meat as the top ingredient.

These foods below can be used on their own or combined with food as toppers/enticements.

Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave. Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • chamomile tea, made from the little bags only, a couple cooled teaspoons a couple times a day in water or food, can help calm a stressed cat

Luckytheordinary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Do you have access to Tractor Supply Online? @lisahe has suggested that Tractor Supply's "Kitchen Selects" pates are very decent food -- the recipes are a lot like FF Classics but with more meat as the top ingredient.

These foods below can be used on their own or combined with food as toppers/enticements.

Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave. Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • chamomile tea, made from the little bags only, a couple cooled teaspoons a couple times a day in water or food, can help calm a stressed cat
Yes, I usually heat up my cats food whenever I accidentally buy the canned food with chunks. If I don’t hear it up to a body temperature ~30C he will only eat the sauce. Good Luck!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give each of my cats 1/4 cup of pate at 7am and 7pm. The pate gets left out for an hour and they have to eat it before they get their dry food. Right now I'm using Fancy Feast Classics Pate and Friskies Pate, the non-fish name flavors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hazzaram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are “krispies”? If they like things that are crunchy, try feeding dry food if you haven’t already. If you don’t want to buy a whole bag you can buy small bag of cat treats to check their preferences regarding the texture and hardness of the food.
I do feed them dry food, which is "krispies" lol. I just would much rather them eat wet food.

hazzaram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give each of my cats 1/4 cup of pate at 7am and 7pm. The pate gets left out for an hour and they have to eat it before they get their dry food. Right now I'm using Fancy Feast Classics Pate and Friskies Pate, the non-fish name flavors.
I'm going to pick up some Friskies.

I usually do half a can of FF pate each, once in the morning and once at night. But I don't take the plates away after an hour because I'm usually not home =\

hazzaram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

• Salmon, mackerel
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
Wow!! Thanks for all your suggestions!!! I appreciate it so much.

I'm going to pick up a few of the foods you mentioned and if that doesn't work, I'll try some of the tricks you listed. Thanks!!