Cats pooping in different parts of the house

zerosoma33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend is staying with me for the summer and she has two cats. Our cats are now getting along fine (we have three total between the two of us). This morning I stepped barefoot in a rather fresh pile of poo, and at first I couldn't tell if it was vomit or poo because it was wet (sorry for being so graphic).

We identified it as the latter, and we think it was our persian, who is 8 years old (we call him the old man). Our blue russian Gabriel also pooped the other night but it was just outside his litter box so we switched litter.

Problem is, it might be the litter because we found some Fresh Step on sale for $5 with a $5 rebate and they normally use Arm and Hammer, so maybe they do not like the litter?

Also, we've been having trouble with Gabriel vomiting up the Nutro we are feeding (not my normal food, but we found these 6 lb bags on clearance at PetCo for $1). We also made a switch to Blue wet food a couple weeks ago since they carry it in the smaller cans and the Innova around here only comes in the big cans, which gets nasty towards the bottom of the can if you have it sitting in the fridge for more than 2 days.

We are afraid this is diarrhea of some sort, because our Persian had to have his butt washed last night.

Is it the food? The litter? Defiance? how do we know for sure? thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many litterboxes are in the house? There should be at least one per cat (and more would not be a bad thing)--some cats just don't like to share. Of course the boxes should be scooped at least once a day, and bigger is always better.

Abrupt litter changes can cause problems with some cats, so can sudden diet changes (with dry; changing canned foods usually is OK). So there really could be any number of reasons. Since it's only happened once I would just keep an eye out (and provide at least one box with the old litter). If it starts happening more often you'll have to really find out what's causing it.

star2000dancer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had 2 brothers, one started to that. Turned out he had a blockage in his kidneys. I did not know the signs then. It can be caused by so many things. Perhaps you should call your vet & ask?

star2000dancer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just reread your post. Only once, the Persian could have been spooked. Or it could be the food. I found some nasty things in some canned food. If it was all the time, I'd call the vet.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find if my cats eat one brand/flavor of food, I do not experiment, EVER. I found too many issues when you try to do that.

I feed Wellness Turkey [only flavor ever!] and Royal Canin 36 for kittens - they're only 6 months.

Please toss new litter, add a 3rd litterbox if there's less than 3 and please use the same wet you always have.

For litter, I mix Fresh Step Crystals with FreshMagic Chunk style crystals and use Wonderboxes instead of plastic boxes. Works extremely well and easy to care for. I used to have a Breeze, but tossed it out - too much trouble with poo.