cats plus instruments...cat loves flute a bit too much?

doctorprilicla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mostly this is so I can see if anyone else has the same weird thing with cats and instruments that mine does. So I was practicing my flute the other day, and James comes running out of nowhere and starts rubbing all over the flute, then over me. Then he lays on my sheet music. Then when I start playing again, he starts rubbing the end of my flute frantically. He does the same thing when I play my oboe, and to a lesser extent with my violin.

Is this just a "cats are weird" thing? Does my music remind him of something? None of my other cats do it. I've never had any cat take active interest in my music, though I've certainly had them run away from it before. Cats are so strange!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are like that. I had one that was in ecstasy when I played our organ and even had a favorite song that had her lolling her head over the music rest.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my old cats used to plonk down in front of the bass amp whenever we had band practice (as long as no drums were involved).  lol

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came across an accordion one time and was trying to teach myself how to play it. One of my cats absolutely hated it and would try to attack me when I played it. Needless to say I never learned how to play it. Most of my cats have gotten distressed when I play any Pink Floyd music at home. There must be some instrument in there that they don't like. I only listen to it in my car now.
Harp music typically calms down cats, and I've had cats jump up next to me when I play the piano.

There is a connection between cats and music that I'll never fully understand.