Cat's Paws Full Of Sticky Buds From The Yard - How To Clean Them?

mzwhit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just moved to a new apartment with a huge backyard. I thought my cat would love it - and he does! But there's a big cottonwood tree in the yard next door and our lawn is littered with these sticky little buds. They get stuck to Pinot's fur and especially in his paws, which then causes all kinds of other dirt and debris to stick in there as well.

He's pretty fierce when I try to help him clean them out - I understand it must hurt a bit. I've tried to dunk his paws in water to try to loosen the debris. I've also tried applying vegetable oil to his paws while he's having a nap, but he protests pretty quick. He's a big strong guy with quite a bite on him, and I live alone, so no one to hold him down while I try to get in there and clean.

Any advice on how to get rid of the gunk?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe there is any non-toxic solvent for this stuff. I'm afraid it's taco wrap and scissors time, then keep him inside until the booby traps are gone.

Margret

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might try dunking his paws in corn starch. It helps with tangles by making the hairs slippery and then one can comb them out. I have no idea if this would neutralize the stickiness but it might. Let us know if it works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzwhit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

Fortunately, the sticky bud season was short-lived! Warmer weather seems to have dried them out for the most part. He still comes in with random bits of plant matter stuck to him, but not in such an alarmingly gummy-picking-up-all-the-other-dirt-around kind of way. He seems to be able to manage his paw beds, with a few more harmless hangers-on farther up his back legs. I'll try the cornstarch if it persists (a vet tech friend recommended the same - oil did not help at all and just made my floors an even bigger mess.) Thank goodness. Up next: cottonwood fluff and burdock burr season!

Burliscious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just moved to a new apartment with a huge backyard. I thought my cat would love it - and he does! But there's a big cottonwood tree in the yard next door and our lawn is littered with these sticky little buds. They get stuck to Pinot's fur and especially in his paws, which then causes all kinds of other dirt and debris to stick in there as well.

He's pretty fierce when I try to help him clean them out - I understand it must hurt a bit. I've tried to dunk his paws in water to try to loosen the debris. I've also tried applying vegetable oil to his paws while he's having a nap, but he protests pretty quick. He's a big strong guy with quite a bite on him, and I live alone, so no one to hold him down while I try to get in there and clean.

Any advice on how to get rid of the gunk?
I can totally relate. We recently adopted (or actually she found us by showing up at our door at dinner time) an 8month old stray end of November 2022. We rent the little carriage house on a huge 2.5 acre property. Our little Lily LOVES to go outside and hunt - plenty of space. There are two big cottonwoods in front of the house, which are beautiful trees but those buds are a nuisance to my car in the spring. I thought of her going out and all of those buds sticking to her beautiful fur in the coming weeks. Our vet suggested 'booties and a leash' which is so absurd and almost comical because there is NO WAY we would get her in those. Lily even managed to remove her cone on the way home after the spaying shortly before Christmas but didn't end up touching the wound once. We had an early snowy winter (which seems to have ended) before we could even rake the leaves. I'm debating keeping the leaves there until all the buds drop, then rake everything at once because raking the leaves would be easier than grass. The cornstarch is not a bad idea, but also not something Lily would love to get her paws into.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, there, B Burliscious , and welcome to TCS. Just as an FYI, this thread is a few years old and the original poster hasn't been back in some time so they may not see this post. Best of luck with the kitty paws!